Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WTB - 1976 Alfetta GTAm (Tipo 116) 2litre SPICA injection

Guys I'm in search of a long lost family alfa. Does anyone know of where I may find a 76 Alfetta GTAm.

The story behind my quest.
In the early '80s my father in law unwittingly purchased a odditty of car so that his wife, whom was confounding medical science in her longevity with a congenital heart condition. Believing she had a finite life span, he purchased a little red Alfetta after having seen the perfomance of a mates fiat, so that they could have some fun in what time they had left. He constantly recounts the story of how he had the car tied in a bow as he presented it to his wife when a gust of wind toppled over a home made steel netball hoop onto the roof line, arghh. Anyway, after many years of irr responsible driving, confounded mechanics with the SPICA injection and a growing family he finally decided to trade it up for a larger (non Alfa) vehicle. I know, blasphemy.

I came into the scene in the late '80s, chasing one of his daughters just before he traded it away. (regret No. 63 - not having bought the Alfetta). Now, after 21 years of marraige I've been given carte blanche to occupy myself with a car restoration project after successfully pimping up a 2001 Ford KA for my own daughter as a learners vehicle. Anyhow both my in laws are still here, mum having survived 2 heart valve replacements, cancer and septicemia from a perferated bowl due to her chemotherapy. They're about to hit retirement and it would be a perfect retirement gift for them if I could produce a GTAm.

So, here I am seeking insight and direction. Better still a fellow Alfista that is willing to part with there Alfetta GTAm that may or may not be rusting away in the back corner of their property. Any suggestions welcome.
The actual GTAm was used in the Sutherland Shire (Hurstville, Sydney). It was traded in '88 or '89 and ended up at a car dealership in the Balmain area with NSW rego plates OUF288 or similar.

I can't say with any certainty, however a particular difference with it, which I've yet to come across on the web was that I recall the c pillar vents had the letter GT cut out in the diagonal vents. The wife thinks I'm going senile and making it up, but my mother in law also recalls this feature.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
There was something like only 25 of the injected "GTAM" Alfetta GTs bought into the country... there was a *very* rusty one on ebay here in Brisbane a number of years ago - only time i've ever encountered one. Good luck with finding one - I suspect they're all long gone given the hassles of the Spica.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Black Witch, imagine my dissappointment in finding that I had missed the rusty one. I wish I had of started this project much sooner. I'm hoping that another chassis will pop up in the next few years. Or even the same one that had been sold. Anyway, I'm hoping that people will talk and it my spark a recollection or location of a car that someone may be willling to part with (no matter what condition).

Thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Someone here on the board is starting a GTAm restoration

Thanks Black Witch, imagine my dissappointment in finding that I had missed the rusty one. I wish I had of started this project much sooner. I'm hoping that another chassis will pop up in the next few years. Or even the same one that had been sold. Anyway, I'm hoping that people will talk and it my spark a recollection or location of a car that someone may be willling to part with (no matter what condition).

Thanks again for the post.
Have a look at the more recent threads. I saw someone starting an Alfetta GTAm restoration.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
132 Posts
"Cool" Jesus

Wow! You ARE cool buy name and nature. I wish I could afford to be that generous. Good on you. Someone you may know of is right when he said "there is more happiness in giving than receiving" ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow! You ARE cool buy name and nature. I wish I could afford to be that generous. Good on you. Someone you may know of is right when he said "there is more happiness in giving than receiving" ;)
Totally agree Omega, I've always been big on giving great, well thought out prezzies.

Thanks Olaf, Ive been waiting for the opportunity to be able to get my hands properly greased up on such a build project ever since my teenage years. I've always only ever tinkered on my rides and never had the time, money or resources to really perform any real modifications or upgrades. To then find our long lost family Alfa and give it back as a surprise to mum and dad, just adds to the enjoyment of the build.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Please correct me, if I am wrong about this. Isn't the GTam that was imported into Australia nothing more than a GT that has a SPICA injected engine and some decals?
I would hazard a guess that this is not the GTam as you and I know it, but instead a GT America model, Spica injected sold in Non US markets.

bs

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I would hazard a guess that this is not the GTam as you and I know it, but instead a GT America model, Spica injected sold in Non US markets.

bs
You are kind of correct and yet not quite. As I understand it, Alfa Romeo Australia imported a small number (20 -25 ??) of the GTs with the Spica into Aus with the express purpose of homolgating them for racing purposes here, testing the fuel injection system here in Aus etc. Again if I have this correct the first race they were to run at was the '76 Bathurst 1000 enduro. Obviously not all were used for racing and were sold off by a number of Alfa dealerships here. I recall more knowledgeable people discussing this topic in more detail on another thread (possibly on the local AROCA forum ?).

Were they anything special mechanically, unless I have this wrong, apart from the Spica, probably not, but in a way they are a minor rarity model out here.

The point, however, with Cool Jesus's car is that it has high family sentimental attachment and to be restoring the car for such a reason, is a most noble guesture.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
You are kind of correct and yet not quite. As I understand it, Alfa Romeo Australia imported a small number (20 -25 ??) of the GTs with the Spica into Aus with the express purpose of homolgating them for racing purposes here, testing the fuel injection system here in Aus etc. Again if I have this correct the first race they were to run at was the '76 Bathurst 1000 enduro. Obviously not all were used for racing and were sold off by a number of Alfa dealerships here. I recall more knowledgeable people discussing this topic in more detail on another thread (possibly on the local AROCA forum ?).

Were they anything special mechanically, unless I have this wrong, apart from the Spica, probably not, but in a way they are a minor rarity model out here.

The point, however, with Cool Jesus's car is that it has high family sentimental attachment and to be restoring the car for such a reason, is a most noble guesture.
Understood, and don't get me wrong, I was just trying to make sense of the AM nomenclature. The Alfetta here in the states never really had a chance to shine, it came right at a time when we were struggling with new safety and emissions rules, and manufacturers were using bolt on kludges to accommodate. Most of us over here never had a chance to appreciate the Alfetta as it was meant to be, in light weight trim with non strangled power. In fact, many here with Alfettas go to great lengths to install euro cams, headers, bumpers, etc.

Way cool to see an injected one over there, with all the correct trim.

The 'other' gtam would have been an Alfetta variant of the GTV version of the gtam. Those things were real brutes, and not very street able.

The fact that cool Jesus found his actual car is amazing. I'll bet it never leaves the family again.

bs

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think I would have to agree with you on all accounts, cheers :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
In fact, many here with Alfettas go to great lengths to install euro cams, headers, bumpers, etc.
Tell me about it mate! In addition to having the Euro cams and bumpers, I also installed a Italian center console in km/h, removed the AC and I am currently in the process of getting the front nose looking like the Euro model too - I guess I am effectively making a Alfetta GTAmerica in reverse. Kind of makes sense given I am originally from Sydney too!

BTW, thanks again Brian for seeding my dreams with a great Alfetta and to HMA for all his heavy metal skills!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts