Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys check out this mint looking milano on ebay, and not one bid on it.
What's going on I've seen cars this nice go for 10 - 12k.
Don't know who the owner is. no personal interest involved, just a heads up.

Alfa Romeo - eBay (item 270695513361 end time Jan-30-11 16:48:11 PST)

I've got one with 43,600 miles going up for sale soon. I'll give the bbers a shot at it before putting it on flea bay :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's actually mine. I wanted to really love this Alfa but after doing so much work on it, I will cut my losses and bring my 25 year old E30 coupe indoors.

Warning: Automotive Insanity / Unjustified Car Lust Ahead

The car has been so much fun to drive, but it has spooked me. A fuel delivery issue, that left me stranded close to my place twice, seems to have been resolved with changing the in-line and in-tank fuel filters, the latter of which even appeared to be original. The brake issue I had when I first got the car has been resolved with changing of the hydraulic accumulator (with a new part from Centerline, not that cheapo, NOS Amazon one of questionable origin & age) and using Super Blue brake fluid. But I just don't have the time, skill, or facilities to indulge in my car passion the way that I felt I could when I purchased the car. I have been babying the car since I got it, fearful of anything to upset the girl. I have, in the past, drove my cars hard, but this is such a beauty, a time capsule of the last of the non-FIAT Alfas, that I have done nothing but baby it, and I just can't justify the car. I will miss the the quirky Italian ergonomics, the road handling, the fact that it both absorbs bumps yet allows you to feel to much of the road, the thumbs up from those who know and admire Alfas, and more.

I know I'm going to lose money on this car (I paid quite a bit more than $8000 for the car, and significantly more with maintenance added in). But I've tasted Alfa Romeo ownership, and I am happy for having done so, but at this stage in my life, I just can't justify having her anymore and she deserves going to someone who can preserve her better than I can.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Beautiful example. Interior phenominal. Looks to have been stored indoors. Still, you paid wayyy too much my friend. A really excellent unmolested example with reasonable mileage would bring $7000-7500.00 in 1996. Unfortunately, Milano's have a lot of quirks that most are not willing to put-up with and so, demand (value) has not grown, but diminished some. Value for examples like this has remained flat.

When I see a low mileage example (no matter how good looking), that changes hands after just a year or two, or has less mileage than a three year lease, I get suspicious. Not saying that there are any inproprieties here at all.

Often times high prices are paid by the Alfa unwary. 10-12k Jose? Maybe on the east coast, not here in the midwest. We tend to be practical - we wanna drive what we buy.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Proof in the Pudding

Hate to be right - 3 hours left and this fine example still has the original 6k bid (reserve not met). That's it. One bid.

Well, I wouldn't feel bad. I just updated my car's maintenance history (in Excel) and I purchased this car in 2007 for a really low-ball price - due to absence of title. I had to wait many months for the duplicate title from California. In that time I paid to store it and started gathering parts.

As of now, I have just shy of 9 grand in it (less the car itself). I'd be lucky to get half that back if I sold her. Nah, I think I'm keeping this lil' bugger for my own enjoyment. At this point, ALL the main mechanical items have been dealt with. I should be able to drive for a quite a while with out any major expenses. If this guy has that much into the car I would suggest that it helps to have the backup receipts and some sort of maintenance history - something like this
Maint Hist Example.JPG .

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was saying to myself that that car looks just like the car in the mpls craigslist last summer. I guess it was that one. It was selling for 8k.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Hate to be right -
No, you're not right - in fact - you're all wrong actually (and wrong for kicking the seller in the balls like that publically too...) The man's heart is in that car and he does not seek to MAKE a dime on it; he is even willing to lose money on it, just to see it live and not just to see it go to the right home!

An unmolested, super-original, immaculate condition Verde like this for 7-8-9 grand should be a NO-brainer! Bad market-timing perhaps with the economy the way that it is? 3-4 Years ago, the car would be gone at 8K-9K US and it will be again in 2-3 years from now - provided that somebody takes care of it!

How many of these cars came to the US? 600 or so!? Keep it garaged, drive it once a week and make the E30 your daily driver. Wait a year or two and park it on the floor of a new Alfa Romeo dealership on consignment - as an attraction / a prop / or an item of interest... You'll get your money and they will sell it for 12K for the novelty of it!

I have over 40K in my one Milano and almost 70K in the other Milano; the thought of an all-stock, all original, quiet, smooth, easy to live with Verde (even with all of the horsepower and handling and stopping at my disposal – just beyond my backdoor), is SO tempting! If I had the money, it would be in my collection already!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Well, I try to let the facts fall where they may JJ.

ebay is WORLDWIDE. Good intentions and a "man's heart" have no place in business dealings. Fact is, it's a Milano from a time capsule. Buyer paid too much, see's he's still got a few things to sort out and doen't think it's worth it - simply put. Fact is. Noone else thinks it's worth it either. Fact is. If he wants to get rid of it, he's gonna have to bite the bullet and come down to where examples like this SELL at. (it's certainly not what Jose suggested earlier)

It IS a beautiful Milano as I have said. But If I were him, I wouldn't take advice from a guy who spends 70k on a car he can neither race or drive on the street!

It's tough love out there right now. Especially for Milano's. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
Noone else thinks it's worth it either. Fact is. If he wants to get rid of it, he's gonna have to bite the bullet and come down to where examples like this SELL at.
I don't think I agree that noone else thinks it's worth it. I may be more accurate to say that noone who thinks it's worth it is ready to purchase a car right now, and/or is paying attention to eBay right now.

If I didn't alreay have a low-mileage Verde this is exactly the car I would be looking for and I would pay more than $6K to get it. Every year, a few other people feel the same way and we see an exceptional Verde sell for $7.5k+. Not often, and the cars have to be really good, but they do sell.

I think the issue really is the timing. Oklahoma, like many other parts of the country, was in the middle of an ice/snow storm when the auction closed. This is not the time to sell this type of car. I predict if he re-runs the auction in April the results will be a lot more positive.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Well then, that makes TWO of us now who don't agree with you tunerboy... I guess that you are wrong on the "Noone else" point then too! :D

And by the way, I take umbrage with the "I wouldn't take advice from a guy who spends 70k on a car he can neither race or drive on the street" comment. The car has been to two (TWO) track events, it has been driven on the street multiple times now (and will soon sport a valid Washington State emissions certificated and registration) AND the car fits squarely within the rules for the new ICSC (Conference) Improved Touring class (where two other prepared Milanos will also be competing this new season...) ;)

As for the money spent on all three of my 24v projects, I never did any of it with an eye on resale value - that would be ludicrous (nor did I aim to meet your standards for financial and fiscal prudence!)

Until you go through the motions of building (or buying) something of this caliber (my cars, or the Verde in question), something EXACTLY to the standard that you want (cost aside), you won't understand. There's another guy here with a 70K Milano and a guy with a 50K GTV6 - why don't you go and kick them in the balls too!? :rolleyes: What are you going to do; criticize everybody who spends more money on their cars than you!? :confused:

Back to Rugger1345's beautiful Verde; take JoeCab's advice (he didn't foolishly spend almost 70K on a Milano - so you can follow his advice I guess - relist it. Hold out for your price!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Auctions are definitely beholding to the timing factor JoeCab. Though someone chimed out that it was being listed at 8k last summer. You make some good points. No doubt examples this clean are kinda like a purdue chicken to an Alligator. We being the Alligators of course! ...Could it be that everyone's upside-down with their mortages and that's why noone's biting? I admit, getting it home today would be problematic!

Guys, I've been owning and driving Milano's since the mid nineties, and now a GTV6. What got me hooked on Alfa's in the first place was a Verde! Like Joe said, every year a Milano like this pops up here or there. MY experience is that the SELLING price for examples like this has remained pretty flat for over 10 years. As for me, the only reason I don't get out and drive my GTV6 today is because I haven't fitted her with skis!

Anyway, this aint no trading floor so no use arguing what is obvious. Anyone who would dump a Verde like this in favor of an E30 of similar vintage is telling you subliminally there is a reliability issue. OR, he was listening to others who told him to buy and flip it. These cars go for 10-12k easy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been sitting here, watching this unfold. Given that I haven't been on the forums long, I didn't want to say anything as I was concerned it would be inappropriate, but I have been disgusted with ToonRboy's railing against a specific vehicle that he knows nothing about.

The car was sparingly run for 15 years as a car in the collection of a collector in Minnesota and even carried "Collector" plates when I went to pick it up which the Minnesota statute states
# Vehicles registered in any of the collector classes are restricted to operation solely as a collector item. These vehicles cannot be used for general transportation purposes
The work that I have done to it has been tons of maintenance for wear items, such as the brake system accumulator, timing belt & tensioner, etc in order to make it a semi-daily driver.

The original idea was this:
I had owned a 2005 Lotus Elise and a 1986 BMW 325e for 3 years. The Elise was my good weather daily driver and the BMW was my poor weather/beater car.

I sold the Elise in June after receiving an unsolicited offer from the brother of a friend. I did this because I wanted my next Lotus to be supercharged and a newer model due to changes made in the 2008 model year. I bought the Alfa in July 2010 to replace the BMW, but after taking ownership I realized that I didn't want to use this beautiful and rare car as a "beater" at all. So I now I had a 1986 BMW 325e and a 1988 Alfa Romeo in the stable.

After performing a large amount of maintenance work on the Alfa and having an especially hard time doing it, considering I have only wrenched on a simple Lotus and a well documented E30, I made the decision to purchase a newer car to eventually be the bad weather vehicle so I bought a third car, a 2006 SAAB 9-2x Aero, a rebadged Subaru WRX wagon. Now I have 3 cars, two indoor parking spaces. The E30 is outside (locked in a 2' tall snow drive at the moment), with the SAABaru and Milano inside. I am selling the Milano now as I know it will be harder to sell given the niche market and then am going to put the BMW up for probably $1000 on Craigslist. This is so I have garage space for a newer Lotus.

If this is some kind of hamfisted attempt to get me to lower the price of the car so that you can snatch it and resell it in better weather, then bravo; as it is relisted here at $7000 with no reserve. I am certainly not trying to make money on the purchase, just not trying to lose an unreasonable amount of money ($9000 on the purchase after reserve was not met by someone else for $8500). The timing is just right to rid the car for me, not necessarily the market. The amount I lose on the Milano verses selling it in the Spring is probably less than I'll save by buying an Exige or Elise at this time anyways.

I know this isn't a "For Sale" thread, but next time you start railing against someone trying to sell a vehicle think about how you would feel if someone just starting trolling/lobbying against an item you had for sale.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Yes, the BB is sort of like Craigs list.
Price it cheap and it moves quick.
This is not the venue to list a really good car....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Sorry Rugger1345. This is not about a specific car e.g. yours. It's about a make of car. Of which I know quite alot about since I've been driving them on and off for 16 years. Not as a collector either. As a "stand-ready to drive anywhere, anytime" vehicle. So I know what it takes to get e'm there and what it costs to keep 'em there.

BTW I do love your car. Personally, I feel your response here is better than your description on ebay. **re-write**:D

You'd be better served talking about how the car is functioning, making point about all the major known issues these cars have (and how you've sorted it). Potential buyers at the range you're looking (deservedly) for won't even fly in to kick the tires if they for one moment, feel they couldn't just jump in and drive her home across state lines. (unless it's another collector of course).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Truthfully seeing the sale of this car unfold is scaring the crap out of me, I've been fixing one of my milanos ( the one with 43,600 original miles) little by little ( do to lack of time) hoping to sell it. I haven't been able to finish it quickly because as I've mentioned before on this forum I live out of the country and I come back for a few months at a time to do ten thousand things then go back to the Dominican Republic. Soon I will finish bringing the verde back to spec, and was hoping to make a quick sale of my verde now seeing the sale of this verde has me :confused::confused::confused:. Heck I was hoping to get 6k for mine now I'm wondering if it's even worth selling. If I didn't already own 2 identical black milanos I think I would buy this car. What the heck is going on with these cars??????? I see piece of @#%$ hunks of american led that are no fun to drive never mind look at selling like the economy is just fine. I'm completely confused, I going to go hit my head on a wall several times...... excuse me.

Jose I
and JJ "spend on" brother, If I had the money I'd spend Twice that on my Milano.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Truthfully seeing the sale of this car unfold is scaring the crap out of me... I going to go hit my head on a wall several times...... excuse me.
You and me both, man. You and me both.

At least the coffee shop across the street from me was open so I ventured outside today:

It's amazing what only 10in of snow can do in a place woefully unprepared for snow, but being Oklahoma City, we did have 30mph straight line winds during this...

That's my friend in the doorway. While driving around in the snow yesterday, his car overheated. He drove up into my place today and we discovered a that the head gasket in his 1998 Discovery failed.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
Rugger1345,

Well, in addition to one hell of a nice Milano, it looks like you have some pretty cool digs as well!

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Jose - referred a door handle-gasket inquiry (Mirko) to you - he's been trying to email you! Are you getting the PM's / emails...?

Anyway, this car in this condition for sale now for 7K does not set the price for all other Milanos way south of that! Keep in mind that there is only one once in a while and many of the "others" (some perhaps not in as good a shape, some perhaps with higher miles etc etc) that have traded hands in the 5-6-7-8K range! That will likely always remain the market for one of these!

Sorta like that 13K mile GTV6 that sold about 18-24 months or so ago for around 10K; does this now make all other GTV6 examples worth 2K (given that the bloody car was like a time-capsule and BRAND freakin' new - like it had just come straight off of a showroom floor...!?) No - there was only one of those! Basket-cases still go for 1-2K, average ones are still worth 3-5K and nice examples are still worth 6-7-8K...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Sorta like that 13K mile GTV6 that sold about 18-24 months or so ago for around 10K; QUOTE]

That was back in 2007. Threads are below. Three low mileage, one owner (sub 20K mile) GTV6's came on the market in about a three month time frame. I bought the White one in Chicago, a Silver one sold in the Pacific NW, and a Burgundy one sold in California. Prices were between $10K and $12K. The owner of the silver one was on the board and created a thread about it. Have not heard about the Burgundy one since it sold on Ebay.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/48764-84-gtv6-16000-miles-ebay.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/49304-two-gtv6s-their-teens-one-week-2.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
New to Alfa here as well with an '88 Verde. Mine is a semi-project right now, and I am learning it's needs and what I can do, can't do. I'm a SAAB guy (presently have 7 of varying models), so way to go Rugger on the SAABaru.

I see Rugger's Verde and the Grey Verde that just hit ebay in Altanta ~$4,500 buy it now with 76K. I think, I could have gotten a really descent car for less that I've got into this one....BUT.....like with the Classic 900 SAABs, they don't make these cars anymore. So I am of the opinion of saving the ugly duckling that would have been parted and leave the really good cars to those who want "off the shelf" ready.

When I am ready to sell, I don't expect to make a profit. But at least I've been able to keep another one on the road.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts