Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got the car 2 months ago, wow what an awesome car. I used to driving a Dodge Caravan, prior to getting this wonderful car i had never even seen one. Anyway my wife was revving it up to let a neighbour hear that wonderful 12v engine, but she really over revved it before i could stop her, (she is heart broken as well) anyway after that it ran like crap so i shut it off, now it wont start.

Where do i start to figure out how to get her to run?

·
Premium Member
27,520 Posts
So what happened noise wise before you got her off the throttle and engine shut down?

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
I don't think one can over rev an Alfa 164 so something else must have gone wrong....?
What is the status of the timing belt?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Only 2 posts and a new to him 164 = he hasn't done the timing belt...I bet:(

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The first thing I am suspecting is the timing may have skipped a tooth. I would put the crankshaft at TDC, then check the positions of the camshafts. If they are correct, the job gets easier.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Go to Steve's Maintenance tips. Search for timing template, Print it out on 8.5X14 paper. It's the template to use to check cam timing.
You NEED to changing the timing belt and tensioner on a new to you 164 if you haven't done that already!!

Also, Check plugs, distributor cap, coil wire at the coil and the Temperature sensor connection. It's the lower one on the thermostat housing. It had the Bosch connector, under the radiator hose.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
rev limiter would prevent overrevving when the car is stationary. The rev limiter is effective for all situations but one:

modern engines with full engine management can only be overreved when driving and selecting too low a gear and then fully letting in the clutch. Bang. Otherwise, the rev limiter will prevent the engine from exceeding safe revs.

If the timing belt had already skipped a tooth or two engine failure was inevitable and revving at idle would not likely be the cause unless the throttle were opened and closed sequentially which might set up a nasty ripple in that stretched or tooth damaged belt.

Maybe the revving cracked the inlet rubber bellows or caused a questionable spark plug to go over the edge and misfire.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
If the car has a thermo-mechanical tensioner with a broken spring, revving the engine wouldn't be a good thing. Check the timing belt for cam timing as others have already said and then, if you don't know when the T-belt was done last, do it ASAP along with the water pump. Do you know what kind of T-belt tensioner it has on it? (Oil fed, mechanical or fixed?) The next thing you will need to decide is what kind you want to run. I run a Zat fixed, which I like very much. The learning curve on a 164 is fairly steep, but welcome to our little community of 164 Alfisti!
Charles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts