Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '69 junior which i am currently fully restoring, the welding and the buying of new panels etc is well under way and i am now in the sticky area of colour choice.
do i paint in 501 red? or do i paint in the blue shown in the picture on my fathers Lola? with the yellow over the front. i think that it would look lovely and striking but if i decide to sell it down the line i dont want to be lumbered with a car with a dodgy colour no one wants...
i have 14" GTA rep wheels going dark gold, with original dunlop racing tyres going onto them with lightweight GTA door and boot lid etc.
GTA exhaust manifold and side exit exhaust.
what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
That blue looks pretty close to LeMans blue, so I think it would work, if you're trying to keep to stock colors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if it is near enough the same then i guess le mans blue would suffice. whats your opinion on the colour? do you think it suits the step-nose?

·
Registered
222 Posts
if it is near enough the same then i guess le mans blue would suffice. whats your opinion on the colour? do you think it suits the step-nose?
i think the le mans with yellow nose section would be striking, and pretty unusual...i don't think it would negatively impact your resale value.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Personally, I prefer a darker blue with orange across the nose. But wait, I paint my super white, so don't listen to me. In the end, what you choose is completely up to you, it doesn't matter what the rest of say.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Agreed.
Paint it whatever color you like (as long as it isn't red!).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dad's Lola Blue

If my dad raced a F5000 Lola, I would paint it in the family racing colors and take the resale hit if necessary. My dad raced a red Triumph TR3...

:p

~Chris

·
Registered
375 Posts
I feel there are a great many stock colors that look great on our cars. But as my car is hardly going to be original (ts motor to start) and I don't intent to ever sell it i went with a variant of an original color that I think is more striking and suits me better.

For what its worth there is a rc car body of the gta. You could pick up a couple of them and spray them with the colors you are interested in to get an idea of how it will flesh out. It's what I did, though I had pretty much already picked my color at that point :D

Here is a link to my conversion thread to see the model and the car in the booth after spraying:

http:// http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-conversions/174091-gtv-ts-2.html#post999318

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dark blue with orange looks lovely. I was planning on red initially but how many red ones are out there?!
I think I'll be going for the sky blue/ yellow combination. As far as engine bay paint ive seen a lot of GTA's with satin black instead of coloured?

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
not the best example in the world but I think the satin engine bay looks "right" especially with a white car. I just couldn't see having a white engine bay on a white car. If it was a trailer queen and I never drove it and just looked at it then yeah I might have gone with white.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think satin black looks right, all the Ferrari's have satin black engine bays and so i dont think it would appear lazy or bodged? just typically a light coloured engine bay would look sore in years to come.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
No offense to anyone whose gone non-stock or two tone but I would not buy a car with a customized paint scheme and would mostly prefer not to buy one with a non stock solid color. Not because I'm a retro perfectionist but because the stock colors almost always look better and I've never seen a customized paint job that honestly, truly, and for the long term looks better than a well done stock color. Just look at the unbeatable simplicity of this class act: Alfa Romeo | eBay

That said, I think the GTV is a magical car shape that looks good in every single color its ever been sold in besides this one: Alfa Restore
(and again no offense to those folks. i can say the color sucks cause its the color my car once was).

good luck with the restoration!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i agree black with red is a fantastic colour for the GT, but is black actually a stock colour? i have never ever seen one except for this one which has been for sale for well over a year?
being 21 ive dreamed of building my own GT, so now i have the reality of doing so i want to build it my way, not in a usual 21 year old fast and the furious way, i love originality but i want a fast road/ track style car. i have a Ferrari 308 which im restoring to standard and so the giulia is going to be really fun to do exactly as i picture in my head

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
huh good question. i've seen black on alfa color charts but am not positive of the year match to the car i linked. of course the choice is all yours... i was just chiming in.

308GT4 or later?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts