Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
The car is an '81 so should be outside the 25yr requirement for emissions testing. Though since it is from out of state you will want to check with WA DOL to see if it is subject to testing in order to acquire Washington state registration.....?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You'd have no problems with this car in Washington. Over 25 years, no emissions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You'd have no problems with this car in Washington. Over 25 years, no emissions.
It would be a kind of fun toy to have around. Also: DOL person said that this car (due to age) would need to get formally "appraised" before registration could happen. Anybody have a reference for something like that? The car needs to appraise within $2000 or else something (forgot what she said about the or else).

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Who is "they"? Remember, no emissions test because it's over 25 years old so there is no "they" involved. The DMV wouldn't know or care about the engine swap.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who is "they"? Remember, no emissions test because it's over 25 years old so there is no "they" involved. The DMV wouldn't know or care about the engine swap.
That's what the licensing lady said too. So I reckon that is settled. Now I'm on to the "appraisal" question. Looking for someone to do that, if this were to happen.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Appraisal Question

Speaking of my own experience bringing in old cars from out of state....

To register and license I had to put down a value so that the greate state of WA could then tax me on the sale amount as part of the registration process.

One thing to remember if you decide to put down a low-ball figure to save on paying taxes - If ever you are in a dispute with an insurance company over fair market value of your car due to an accident claim...the insurance company may go searching and find this record and try to use it to establish price.

As me how I know - owner of a totalled 88 Verde!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to look at a local car tomorrow. Wife approval is a big hurdle (no garage space, among other things), but we'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts