Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried everything to terminate the gas smell in my 83 Spider...all new hoses, vapor system hoses, new fuel filler neck. I know I need a new black gasket seal where the pump goes into the tank. But I'm convinced that alone won't solve things.

The smell is insane.

Maybe there's a leak in the tank. Anyone have a used good one to sell?

·
Registered
35 Posts
From what I've read in the archives, you should definitely replace that gasket and then wash the all carpets in the trunk. They seem to retain the smell indefinitely.

That being said, I installed a brand new tank in mine this summer, with a new gasket and I occasionally get a gas smell also. I haven't replaced the vapor lines yet, though. That will need to wait until spring.

And then I'm going to wash the carpets.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have tried everything to terminate the gas smell in my 83 Spider...all new hoses, vapor system hoses, new fuel filler neck. I know I need a new black gasket seal where the pump goes into the tank. But I'm convinced that alone won't solve things.

The smell is insane.

Maybe there's a leak in the tank. Anyone have a used good one to sell?
examine the big rubber hose that runs from the filler neck to the tank very carefully. they get old and brittle and crack and stink up the car but won't leak . iap has them amongst others.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the filler hose with brand new. It is tough to get on.... I think some of the smell is coming from there, but that hose is on tight. Some smell coming from where the fuel pump goes (gasket).

·
Registered
820 Posts
I replaced the filler hose with brand new. It is tough to get on.... I think some of the smell is coming from there, but that hose is on tight. Some smell coming from where the fuel pump goes (gasket).
when you change that, remember... no silicone or sealant . if you take it off and don't like the surfaces and figure you need a sealant, make certain it says fuel PROOF on it... not fuel RESISTANT...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts