Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I’m not sure which ones to order from their website as Alfa Romeo is not even listed. Can someone help me

I def want to upgrade my pistons and rods! Keep it naturally aspirated and gain a good chunk of hp and torque at the same time!!
3FAEA478-0A36-49B5-BA54-CDA660BD5E2D.jpeg

·
Administrator
12,569 Posts
This post looks like spam ... where does the magical 40hp come from, especially as you say they don't sell pistons for Alfa Romeo
Pete

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Raising the compression ration of a 3L V6 from 9:1 to 10:1 gains about 5 HP.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This post looks like spam ... where does the magical 40hp come from, especially as you say they don't sell pistons for Alfa Romeo
Pete
The magical 40 hp comes from the larger pistons and rods lol
My buddy had it done and Dynoed his gtv6 he gained like 38 horses

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Do you believe in magic?

·
Registered
615 Posts
These guys are really amazing. If you go to their site and want to pick the year,
make, and model of your car. They show an interesting year range of choices. The choices go from year 5 to year 2017. Which is pretty amazing.

As to the "up to 40 HP gain".
?‍?Please remember that they said "up to" these are the most important two words in the world of the advertising copy writers. Those two little words have caused a great deal of confusion in the minds of the buying public. You have to read the fine print or listen to the words carefully.

One guy made a lot of money bucking this trend in advertising. He said “an educated consumer is our best customer” he's gone now but his money lives on.
Anybody know who said this? And for extra credit, what did he sell?
Hint: His foundation is a big contributor to NPR. ?‍?

·
Super Moderator
10,603 Posts
Back in the 1950's and 60's there used to be ads for a product that promised increased horsepower, better fuel economy, more miles between tune-ups (remember tune ups?) etc. You would install this thing between your carburetor and intake manifold and it had some sort a propeller that would spin in the fuel-air stream which would do .... well, something. Maybe get your fuel so dizzy that it burned better. "Manly" magazines - Popular Mechanics, Hot Rod, etc. would carry these ads. Wossner's ads sound like their modern-day equivalent.

Ok, so while we're giving quizzes, given that these things were called "the mini-supercharger", who can find a copy of those magazine ads somewhere on the internet?

milanoclover said:
The magical 40 hp comes from the larger pistons and rods
While installing higher compression pistons can increase hp (though not +40), changing connecting rods doesn't do anything for power. Stronger rods are less likely to break, which is important in a competition engine. But just as installing a roll cage won't make your car corner better, installing "larger rods" won't improve performance.

Certainly a Milano engine can be modified for greater horsepower. But this requires coordinated changes to the fuel injection, heads, cams, ignition and yes, pistons. According to Wilipedia, a 2.5L V6 Milano puts out 156 hp. To increase that by 26% (196/156 - 1) you would need to re-engineering the whole engine; changing just one component won't do that much.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I'm probably showing my age here, but the educated consumer guy was Mr, Syms who owned a chain of clothing stores based here in NJ. They've been out of business for many years; before that their ads were all over radio and TV.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Johnalfa got the name right. (Sy Syms)

Now what did he sell?
I use to watch his commercials on night time TV. He and his daughter. I think he was the one that invented the "cute little kid in the TV ad idea.)

Hint: Harry Truman and he had one thing in common.

All you young guys were born too late to see great TV back in the day. TV's gone to hell these days.

His family closed the business, I guess, and now put a lot of their money into NPR.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Certainly a Milano engine can be modified for greater horsepower. But this requires coordinated changes to the fuel injection, heads, cams, ignition and yes, pistons. According to Wilipedia, a 2.5L V6 Milano puts out 156 hp. To increase that by 26% (196/156 - 1) you would need to re-engineering the whole engine; changing just one component won't do that much.
I agree with that to a degree but I would not call the effort re-engineering. I started out with a 164S engine (maybe 200HP at the most) and got to 214HP at the wheels (over 260 HP at the engine) by installing Megasquirt EFI and larger injectors from Al Mitchell, a pair of cams and a modified plenum from Richard Jemison, CSC headers and a custom straight through exhaust plus some minor changes to the intake and ignition system. I did not remove the heads or the runners or valve springs. It is really easy to get an extra 30% from these motors but swapping pistons does not account for much of it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
While installing higher compression pistons can increase hp (though not +40), changing connecting rods doesn't do anything for power. Stronger rods are less likely to break, which is important in a competition engine. But just as installing a roll cage won't make your car corner better, installing "larger rods" won't improve performance.
If the rods are longer and the gudgeon pin height changed to suit, can improve the rod length to stroke ratio, resulting in less side load of the piston skirt, less friction and more power.
Tho probably not 40hp..............

And a roll cage can definitely improve cornering abilities of a car by making the chassis more torsionally rigid, allowing the suspension to do its job more effctively, by reducing the 'Fifth spring effect.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
What about if these pistons are oversized and make the engine a 3.5? Not saying it's feasible on a 2.5, but it might be the rationale behind their generic logic.

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
That is a massive oversize bore probably too much for liner reliability plus you still have a 2.5 sized combustion chamber and valves.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Higher compression pistons permit a "wilder" camshaft so there is additive effect. To make this really work the camshaft grinder needs to know what CR the pistons are going to generate.

But in general you'll find more more horsepower in the wheel well than the engine bay. The camshafts sold by Richard Jamison are excellent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts