Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
13,427 Posts
Giulia Supers are "hot" right now, and $15,000 is at the low end of the range for recent sales on BaT. But as you say, "the pictures may not tell the whole picture". Rust is the enemy of all Alfas from this era, and the picture duplicated below, as well as the fresh undercoating shown in the underside photo, are worrisome.

Since you wrote "Importing to Canada not cheap", I'm assuming the car in in Europe and that you haven't seen it firsthand. Paying someone trustworthy to do a pre-purchase inspection would probably be a good investment in this situation.

· But Mad North-Northwest
14,475 Posts
Sills are pretty scary looking. With Alfa sills, whatever you can see, what you can't see is worse.

No idea what Supers are going for these days so I can't tell you if $15K is a good price for this one. But an adage that has served me well with cars is "buy the best one you can". If your budget extends higher my advice would be to spend more, maybe significantly more, and buy one that needs as little work as possible.

At minimum, heed Jay's advice and get a trustworthy inspection.

· Registered
276 Posts
The picture showing the bottom of the car says it all... they don't dare to use the original jacking point due to the rust issues. This car is "crispy" as they say ;-)

In general, be aware of Nuova's as after '73 a lesser quality of steel was used in an attempt to save money... that steel was strong enough but more prone to rust.

Try to find yourself a Giulia build between nov. 1970 and june 1974 as these are the easiest to drive and maintain (hanging pedals, lots of spare parts (in Europe) due to rotten Nuova's).

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, yes this dealer is in Europe.
As much as there is a mild language challenge, several attempts were made to enquire about before pictures regarding the partial floor plan restoration and more pics of the sills etc.
I’m left with being concerned about the unknown on things the seller should be aware of.

at least this lesson wasn’t a costly one. Thanks again. 👍🏾🙏🏾

· Registered
4,693 Posts

· Registered
10,975 Posts
Thank you, yes this dealer is in Europe.
As much as there is a mild language challenge, several attempts were made to enquire about before pictures regarding the partial floor plan restoration and more pics of the sills etc.
I’m left with being concerned about the unknown on things the seller should be aware of.

at least this lesson wasn’t a costly one. Thanks again. 👍🏾🙏🏾
I honestly can't find a legitimate reason to import (to NA) a project unless it is so rare the buyer has no choice. It's just doesn't make good sense. It does make sense to buy a finished car in some cases but NOT a project.

· Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
13,427 Posts
There's certainly a price difference between the blue one and this one, but when you consider the work that needs to be done on the blue one, this one would most likely cost a lot less in the long run.
The car 6alfas refers to is listed at $22.3K US. The one Superj1600 was considering is priced at $15K CDN which today translates to $11.7K US. So the car on ebay is twice the price.

Nonetheless, after shipping and repairing the rust on the blue car, the ebay car would certainly be the less costly and less time-consuming of the two.

3,077 Posts
I checked recently some European websites, and it is pretty easy to find much nicer looking Supers and Nuovas than this one for 12 to 15K yurros. The rest is a matter of determination and skills to find the right one across the ocean.

· Registered
10,975 Posts
There is no such thing as a budget when looking for old cars . The budget only counts on the down payment.. then it can be nothing more or 10 grand just to get it to start and stop ... If you want a rat like the one in Germany.. just put a Wanted sign out...Super Wanted:: Driver quality...some rash and wear but still a solid COMPLETE driving car.. Send photos and price...

· Registered
1,474 Posts
There is no such thing as a budget when looking for old cars . The budget only counts on the down payment.. then it can be nothing more or 10 grand just to get it to start and stop ... If you want a rat like the one in Germany.. just put a Wanted sign out...Super Wanted:: Driver quality...some rash and wear but still a solid COMPLETE driving car.. Send photos and price...
a mate of mine always says when you buy a classic car that is only the deposit.

3,077 Posts
a mate of mine always says when you buy a classic car that is only the deposit.
Twenty years ago, I bought a complete Giulietta Sprint project for $4000 (when that was possible). I had a panel beater do the metal work at a very low rate, but it still cost $8000. I started buying parts, around $2000. The car then needed a complete paint, upholstery, plating, more parts for the mechanical overhaul, tires... and a lot of time. Time, space, money, those are the three factors of the old car karma. Not having enough space led me to sell it to a friend - for $10,000. Think of to, I actually gave him the car.

Deposit - I've also used the term adoption fees.

· Registered
10,975 Posts
I've imported two cars from Europe.. BOTH were completely restored to a high level and worth every penny.. I fiddled with the some minor issues but enjoyed them and drove them for a few years and sold them and recovered everything I had invested in them. That is not possible with a project no matter how much you do your own work.

· Registered
2,871 Posts

· Registered
635 Posts
This one is in Portugal for sale and belongs to a friend of mine. I think it's a better candidate. Although never been bare metal restored, a lot of work already has been done to it and it's very decent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.