Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm at a loss as to how this key is supposed to stay in. I can hold back the spring loaded sleeve with vice grips and hammer in the key fairly flat, but as soon as I release the grips on the sleeve, it shoots the key right out with the spring force. How do I get this key to stay in? I'm thinking blue Locktite?
Ive seen some photos and one video where these lucky guys have the key sitting in place, as if it never came out.
86 Veloce
John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! I am doing the same thing, but I will try again to hold the key in place with my finger while sliding the steering wheel adapter on; the vice grips are preventing the adapter to slide on when grips are in situ. Back outside...I'm almost out of daylight and cusswords.

·
Super Moderator
12,306 Posts
Real easy. One tiny drop pf superglue in the keyway. It cracks loose if the key must shift slightly on installation. Repeatable. Don't use enough to glue it in TIGHT, just enough to hold it in place.

Reactions: John533i

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Gordon. As it turns out, I finally got it to stay in by ****ing the key at an angle, front side down, then slowly releasing the vice grip. It was my last try and it worked. I slipped on the adapter quickly and got the nut tightened, then checked the key; it was leveled out and in place! Then torqued. I tried this a couple times and the key went vertical in the slot when that spring loaded spacer shot back. I had the idea to cut back the spacer by 3/4 inch...I don't see what else it does besides move the turn signal wheel? Anyway, it's on.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I used a thin cable tie towards the back of the middle to hold it in place and then cut the cable tie with snips when I installed the hub up to the cable tie. I was worried about loosing the key as it had already sprung out once.

·
Registered
what part?
10,910 Posts
if the key slips out and down the tube.. just pull the horn wire out, and the key will just fall down the tube to the ground

·
Registered
472 Posts
Problem that I had with the key is the spring wants to send it flying if for some reason one cannot hold the spring back for a little while while putting the hub on.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
I used a hose clamp over the key. Stronger than cable tie, and strong enough to let you release your vise grips and still hold the spring at bay. The hub will push the clamp out of the way, and you unwind and remove the clamp.
Still took me a few goes.... Oh yeah, and you’ve got to stick your tongue out and hold your breath.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All great and desperate ideas!! I'll probably try super glue next time. Or tig weld it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts