Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Spider Veloce
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wooden steering wheel is my favorite of the interior of the car. As such I would like to maintain the nice glossy look. What products and/or methods can I employ to keep it in good shape for years?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It will Interesting to see what people say. I think the steering wheels or coated with lacquer. Lacquer being paint so does wear out at some point. So the issue is how to protect. I think the first thing I would do is don’t wear rings on your fingers the scratch the lacquer or wear gloves.

Ken

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Changing my steering wheel to a wood Nardi was the best modification I did on my car.

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
505 Posts
My 84's Owner's Manual says to clean the wood with gasoline - see the Upholstery paragraph - but I wouldn't dare. A damp cloth is all it's ever needed. 75,000 miles.

David OD
Laguna CA
Manual.jpg Dash.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
My 84's Owner's Manual says to clean the wood with gasoline - see the Upholstery paragraph - but I wouldn't dare. A damp cloth is all it's ever needed. 75,000 miles.

David OD
Laguna CA
View attachment 1667909 View attachment 1667910
David
I would have found that impossible to believe if you had not posted the page from the manual.
Incredible!
I would not do that for anything. Even if it worked, it would stink!

Reactions: Alfaboutvegas

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
of course it would stink, Greg. That way you won't notice the smell of fumes from the trunk of the clogged vapor canister.
o_O
my eyes are burning

Reactions: pantera928

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
285 Posts
i restored my Personal wheel and used epifanes. That stuff is like glue so not much is needed unless you drive it a lot. But, the instructions say to do a light sanding with a light coat every year or so. Not sure if that is relevant but it's all i got.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Are used marine varnish on the Nardi Looks great and wears like iron

Reactions: jantar

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I refinished my Helebore with basic materials & rattle can on a lazy-susan.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
of course it would stink, Greg. That way you won't notice the smell of fumes from the trunk of the clogged vapor canister.
o_O
my eyes are burning
You know, my car stank like gasoline for almost ten years until I discovered the fuel pressure was several psi too high.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My runner/rally 73 spider had a split on top of the Personal wood wheel (maybe from wiping with gasoline?). Used some JB Weld for wood, sanding, and some clear spray lacquer. Looks fair, feels fine when driving. $20 & a couple of hours invested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts