Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Spider Veloce
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wooden steering wheel is my favorite of the interior of the car. As such I would like to maintain the nice glossy look. What products and/or methods can I employ to keep it in good shape for years?

·
Registered
976 Posts
It will Interesting to see what people say. I think the steering wheels or coated with lacquer. Lacquer being paint so does wear out at some point. So the issue is how to protect. I think the first thing I would do is don’t wear rings on your fingers the scratch the lacquer or wear gloves.

Ken

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Changing my steering wheel to a wood Nardi was the best modification I did on my car.

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
470 Posts
My 84's Owner's Manual says to clean the wood with gasoline - see the Upholstery paragraph - but I wouldn't dare. A damp cloth is all it's ever needed. 75,000 miles.

David OD
Laguna CA
Manual.jpg Dash.jpg

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
My 84's Owner's Manual says to clean the wood with gasoline - see the Upholstery paragraph - but I wouldn't dare. A damp cloth is all it's ever needed. 75,000 miles.

David OD
Laguna CA
View attachment 1667909 View attachment 1667910
David
I would have found that impossible to believe if you had not posted the page from the manual.
Incredible!
I would not do that for anything. Even if it worked, it would stink!

Reactions: Alfaboutvegas

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
of course it would stink, Greg. That way you won't notice the smell of fumes from the trunk of the clogged vapor canister.
o_O
my eyes are burning

Reactions: pantera928

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
280 Posts
i restored my Personal wheel and used epifanes. That stuff is like glue so not much is needed unless you drive it a lot. But, the instructions say to do a light sanding with a light coat every year or so. Not sure if that is relevant but it's all i got.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Are used marine varnish on the Nardi Looks great and wears like iron

Reactions: jantar

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I refinished my Helebore with basic materials & rattle can on a lazy-susan.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
of course it would stink, Greg. That way you won't notice the smell of fumes from the trunk of the clogged vapor canister.
o_O
my eyes are burning
You know, my car stank like gasoline for almost ten years until I discovered the fuel pressure was several psi too high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts