Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 1981 with the wood (or simulated wood?) steering wheel and shift knob.
The clear coat lacquer on the steering wheel is starting to flake off. The shift knob also has 2 shades of now. Darker shade on top where it contacts the hand the most, and lighter more original shade elsewhere.
Is it as easy as getting some clear wood lacquer on these?
Anyone done this before? Any tips?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Same situation a couple of years ago. It's plastic or maybe resin with a woodgrain finish. I tried to sand the chipped edges smooth and relacquer it, but the results were poor. Sticky, uneven, discolored. I ended up just putting on a Nardi hub and a Personal Fittipaldi wheel. So much nicer! I still need to replace the shifter with a Nardi or Momo knob though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It wasn't factory, but I've seen so many supposedly stock GTV6s with Nardis and Momos that I have to think some dealers offered them right from the showroom, or that they were at least an acceptable immediate upgrade. Stick with a vintage design (Personal is a Nardi brand and my Fittipaldi basically a direct copy of a Momo Monte Carlo) and you should be fine.

If you're really adamant about keeping it totally stock, I know there are some threads here with info about folks who can restore your wheel and shifter knob to original condition. I personally prefer the smaller diameter and leather wrap of the Nardi, so that's the path I chose.

Either way, removing the wheel is your biggest challenge. Maybe it'll pop right off, or maybe you'll spend weeks building DIY contraptions to pry it loose. Again, a plethora of experience buried in the BB. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts