Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. I have a 4 spider and just changed the oil, coolant, new radator, new golden Lodge spark plugs and went to put everything together and this is what happens.
She runs really hard for about 3 secs backfires and quits. From what I can see everything looks to be connected the right way. I see no lose hoses and I believe the firing order is correct. So I am rather lost.
Also I dropped a 10 mm nut which fell ontop of the pully on the water pump and then got wedged within. I struggled for two hours trying to get it out but it didn't budge. I can rotate the fan by hand and it seems to move freely. Getting rather fusterated and after a fit a well not so nice words I talked to a guy at IAP and he didn't think that starting the car with the nut would hurt anything, but said I should watch out for it flying out. Would this have anything to do with the starting? If you have any ideas for why this may be happening :confused:I would very much appreciate it.
Dad's not to happy

Thanks alot

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
You said you changed the plugs, did you check the firing sequence? It should be 1-3-4-2

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes several times...I am about to go do it again...Could I have messed something up by the Dis. Cap?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
How was she running before you did your work/tuneup?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well "ok" I had this bucking problem where the engine sounded like it was starving for fuel and would randomly lurch you forward but it wasnt that major of a problem...She always fired right up..I had a similar problem this past winter but that was just b/c I had the firing order wrong.. I just checked again and it looks to be in the write order 1-3-4-2

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm almost ready to swear on my life that the order is correct. I just re-wired and double checked again..She started but just hardly it sounded as tho it was trying to keep turning over then just conked out...this all happened under 6 secs.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Why did you replace the coil and what did you replace it with?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The coil replacement was recommend by a local mechanic...I replaced it with one from IAP. A few mintues ago I connected the old one and got the same result..

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Do you have the wire reconnected to the Air Flow Meter?
One guy I help, drove his car 30 miles to my house with his engine running really rough... I was astonished that it made it. I plugged in and all was well.
Have you replaced the undercar fuel filter.
All vacuum hoses connected to the plenum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts