Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My 1961 Giulietta Spider Normale seems to have sprung a leak at the base of the fan where it meets the water pump. The fan is very loose... it wiggles from side to side. Is there a fix for this? Or do I have to replace the water pump?

Is a rebuild on the water pump a big job? Any recommendations on a rebuild shop in Orange County, CA?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Your water pump has a bushing which has worn out and that would cause the water leak and wobbly fan. While kits for this job used to be avaliable, I haven't seen one in years. You can probably find a bearing to fit at a bearing supply house. Fitting a new bearing is not a job for a beginner. A good machine shop or very experienced, preferably Alfa, old 'skol mechanic can do the job. You are better off buying and fitting a new water pump, however.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Most of the parts required to rebuild 101 1300 pumps are still available from Centerline. 1600, 101, and 105 main shaft and bearings, water seal, and impeller are not. They sometimes show up on e-bay, where I buy them for restoration of original pump bodies for show cars. The after market pumps for the 1600's are cheaper than I can rebuild originals. The 1300, 101 pump with the aluminum fan is a different case. I do not believe these are available after market. I rebuild originals for these as well, but again, check Centerlines prices for the parts. It is not a cheap rebuild, but will not get better by itself.

·
Premium Member
23,728 Posts
Sometimes the shaft itself and/or the fan is worn. The fan/pulley is aluminum (soft) and if the key comes out and/or the nut comes loose, it can beat itself and the shaft up, basically self-machining both in a bad way. Needs removal and disassembly to see what's going on.

Andrew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At this point, I've ordered new seal and bushing from Centerline. I'll take it to a local machine shop to do the work because I do not have any press tools... Hopefully the shaft will be OK, but I'll find out when I remove the water pump. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the insight.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
You cannot just press this pump apart! The bearings are held in place by 2 snap rings, one front and one rear, in front of and behind the two bearings. If the impeller / water seal contact surface is worn, you will need a new shaft and impeller. Joe at Centerline has these. Not cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone recommend a machine shop in South Orange County, CA that could do the work to rebuild my water pump?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts