Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my driver side mirror is very loose on my 92 L, is there an easy way to repair this? Do I need to get a whole new mirror assembly or can this be tightened? I thank you all very much with any help you can provide.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I think I would just try to source a used one, as the time you will spend trying to fix the one you have might not be worth it. Try alfa parts exchange, they probably have a bunch of these in stock, for a good price, hope that helps you out,

Jon

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Craig asks some good questions. Is it just the assembly or the glass? 92's didn't have the electric folding option for the USA.

If it is the assembly, there are three bolts holding the mirror to the door. Just take off the cover on the corner of the door and bend the vents back. Then you will have access to the three bolts.

If it is the glass, i suggest sourcing a new mirror assembly.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
Chances are if it is the pivot point where mirror black body pivots in door attach black mount plate that the metal hollow wiring tube inside tension coil spring is rusted and about to break off and wiring about only thing holding two pieces together.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

And thank you all for replying, sorry I was not so specific with my problem.

The mirrors do fold in, the problem is not with where it is mounted to the car but it sounds more like what Alfisto Steve is saying. It seems the problem is with where the mirror pivots. The frame of the mirror which attaches to the car is fine, when you grab the mirror there is definitely a lot of play there. If I start to fold the mirror in then the play is gone and it is nice and snug once the mirror is folded back out to normal view then it seems its about to fall off. Thanks again for all your feedback.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
I suggest you either take whole mirror off and replace it with good one, takei it off and try to repair it with threaded hollow rod and thin nuts used to put wiring and sockets on household lamps or mix up some JB Weld and glue two pieces together in open position before it breaks off completely and breaks tube and wires off.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I Have the Same Problem on the Right Side Mirror of my 1995 164

My right side mirror on my 1995 164Q (with folding in mirrors) is also very loose. I figured I needed a new mirror assembly, that I am getting from Jason at Alfamisso.com. Not sure how to disassemble or fix this condition, but I suspect it is a problem with the gearing associated with the folding in mechanism.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
mirror loose?

If the mirror housing has play in it when extended, (ie you can move it back and forth a bit) but it still extends and retracts OK, and you can adjust the glass appropriately, I would not worry about it. 95% of the LS / Q mirrors I have seen have quite a bit of slop. Yes, it can be adjusted out, with a lot of work, but why bother? Mine, on both my cars, have 3/4 inch of slop when extended, but since they extend to the 'minimal' postion (ie the slop is on the 'outside' of the mirror fold direction) who cares? The wind will always push the mirror back towards the windows, and if its a bit loose by wig waggling it, whats the big deal? Its not going to fall off...

UPDATE -- I went out and meausured the slop in my mirror== driver side when extended at the outboard tip -- 3/4 inch back and forth (fore and aft), zero up and down -- pass side, 5/8 inch back and forth, zero up and down (try to pull up on the mirror outboard edge).

IF the up and down is zero, I think you are fine. If your slop is more than and inch or inch and a half, it might be worth fixing. Other than that don;t worry about it.

Having done this a few times, I will tell you that its a royal pain in the you-know-where to fix. Heck, its even a pain to simply get the mirror off the doggone door!!

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
Per your instructions and those of "cloverleaf4", I was able to access the innerds of the wobbly rhs mirror of my 94LS. The "cloverleaf4" instructions worked like a champ to get the mirror off (unclipping the retaining wires behind the mirror, all of ten minutes). I did this with the mirror assy still on the car.

After disassembly, I got down to your instructions for moving the lower collar around on the shaft, which I did) but could find no setscrew for that collar at all.

Any recollection as to where the setscrew really is, or is the 94 mirror a little different than the 95? I may end up just shimming the lower collar up with a cutaway washer.

thanks,

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I think they are the same but not 100% sure

the big honking spring that pushes against the detent 'release under extreme force' should be held up on the shaft by the lowest collar -- thats where the setscrew is IIRC. I can send you photos if needed I think I still have them at home
PS Stupid question but did you spin that lower collar all the way around?
I would think that a split washer would work just fine.

Now, I don;t know how you guys get that spring loaded wire out from behind that mirror! In every one I have tried, the wire is 'hidden' and I can never see it. It is very frustrating to know that little spring wire just needs to be released but for the life of me I can;t see it to know where the ends are!

heres the photos from epadina, look just like the ones I took years ago

http://www.epadina.com/gal03_0905/index.html

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
I for the life of me cannot find that setscrew in the lower collar, it's just not very thick. I'm pretty sure I did spin the lower collar around better than 360 degrees (I thought of that as well). I'll keep looking but the washer is looking easier all the time. Don't know how thick it should be but maybe 1/16th inch might be enough. Just a guess. You don't remember what gap you ended up below the lower collar after resetting the setscrew, do you?

I followed the "cloverleaf4" instructions to the letter, and at first could find one end of the spring and released it with a long thin slot screwdriver, but couldn't find the lower end. The mirror does pop out a little more once the upper wire is released to make things easier. After a few minutes, carefully prying the mirror back about 1/4 inch with a large slot screwdriver about 1 inch or so outbd of the upper inbd corner, with a flashlight I could see the lower spring end, and was able to release that as well. The wires you see are the ends of a u shaped wire clip holding the mirror tilt motors to the back of the mirror glass. The u shaped wire is open to the inbd or car side. The upper wire end needs to be pushed down and fwd to unhook it and the lower wire needs to be popped up and fwd to unclip it. Then you have to move the wire ends further up and down to move them out of their matching grooves in the tilt motors housing on the back of the glass. Then it is just a matter of wiggling the mirror back to release it from the little motor assy that is used to tilt the mirror.

Then the mirror assy can be partially disassembled to access the innerds per your instructions. This is with the mirror still on the car.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Gap was

about 3/8 inch IIRC

On the shaft, you should be able to see a tiny relief for the setscrew tip.

I completely cleaned all the old grease out and then used lubriplate on it (i live in san diego so not much low temp exposure)

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
Just went out and rotated the lower collar again another full orbit, no setscrew/hole, etc. And, the lower collar below the end of the spring is rather thin, no more than 1/8 inch. Not much room for a setscrew hole. Can see no dimple for the point of a setscrew in the shaft. I don't think I could compress that spring and collar up that much. Maybe no more than 1/8 inch at best. The 94 mirrors must be different than the 95's.

Just in: Oh, yeah, just looked at those pix you inserted. Totally different, if that's what you have.. What a huge collar on that thing. The collar on mine is quite small. Just a little 1/8 inch flange showing at the bottom. No wonder I couldn't figure it out.

Shim washer it is then.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
look in my post for photos

look in the post I put up 20 minutes ago with a link to epadinas photos -- same exactly as mine

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
yeah but...

how did it work originally? ie if it used to work, and does not now, how did it work?

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
It used to move back and forth about 2 inches while fully extended, and did fold most of the way, although it would make some sort of screaming sound while doing it. Don't know if that scream is part of the design or not (alarm when folding, etc?). Does yours scream, or is that a problem with the motor? I think I'll oil it just a little, although maybe there is a "screamer module" in the wiring somewhere.

I used to just let the wind blow it back to close to where it should be for driving, but sometimes it would not move far enough if I wasn't going fast enough (120 mph, lol?), and that bugged me.

I suspect that they changed the design when they found out the design I have didn't work all that great. Of course, the 95 has it's own problems it sounds like, what with the set screw coming loose. They evidently hadn't heard of Locktite.

We now know the 94 mirrors are different than the 95's.

thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
no screamer

they scream when the grease gets dry and cake-ey ; if you clean up real good and lube it well it should work just fine. WHen they are well done they are silent when they fold in and out!

I do have a a set of 94 mirrors somewhere, maybe when i get time (yeah right) I can find them in the attic and check em out

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
Does the mechanism have to be "indexed" when you reassemble it, or does it automatically determine the ends of travel when you activate it? I noticed that it does have some sort of contact assy on the top of the gearbox, I assume that those are the travel location contacts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts