Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a redraw of the Giulia Sprint GT wiring diagram that will more accurately portray a device's actual location in the vehicle. Hence, a few questions;

Is the horn relay on the left or right side of the engine bay?
Is the voltage regulator on the left or right side of the engine bay?
Are both horns on the same side of the vehicle or is one horn on the left and the other on the right?
Do any wires go through the left side of the firewall?
Is the engine bay light switch on the left or right side?

Thanks to all for helping to make this a more user friendly wiring diagram! :)

(more questions to follow, I'm sure)

· Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
13,359 Posts
Wow, this is like one of those surprise quizzes in highschool that I didn't study for. I disassembled my Sprint GT many years ago, and modernized the electrical system when I reassembled it (relocated the fusebox under the dash, used blade-style fuses, installed an internally-regulated alternator, etc). So, I can't just walk out to the garage, lift the hood, and get the answers. But, from memory:

Is the horn relay on the left or right side of the engine bay?
Ugh, I'm a little vague on this one - I want to say that it's on the fusebox on the right fenderwell.

Is the voltage regulator on the left or right side of the engine bay?
Right front

Are both horns on the same side of the vehicle or is one horn on the left and the other on the right?
Definitely one on each side of the radiator

Do any wires go through the left side of the firewall?
Yes, some do. Certainly the headlight, F parking, turnsignal wires.

Is the engine bay light switch on the left or right side?
Left

So - all you people with original Sprint GT's - how did I do on the quiz?

· Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Re: Wiring Question

Jay,

You will get a B+. :DFrom the driver side of the car comes four wires: backup wires to the transmission (white and green wires; steering column wire (red) and sending unit wire to the oil filter canister grey wire.

Regards,

Lionel

· Registered
1965 Giulia Sprint GT
365 Posts
Jay - that fits my car. I need to check the position of the horn relay when I get home.

16,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the input!!

The redraw has been completed and is now available to anyone who would like a copy. :)

· Registered
762 Posts
Jim,

Just in time!

I'd love a copy of the new diagram! Please email to:

[email protected]

Chuck

PS I've attached a photo of a wiring detail on my 08/03/1965 production '65 Giulia Sprint GT, one that might be of interest.

My car was built without front side marker lights (an early production detail) but as you can see in the photo, the wiring harness apparently was fabricated anticipating front side markers: the white/black stripe wire that would have powered them is snipped off near the terminal connection for the front turn signal/parking lights. This little oddity is the same on both sides. Perhaps a comment regarding this detail would save some GT owner some anguish and confusion.

Attachments

16,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little oddity indeed!

The color wiring diagram I drew, with side repeaters, is based on the Alfa diagram in the 4th revision Giulia Sprint GT owner's manual #978 R4 dated 3/68. Interestingly, the 1st edition #978 owner's manual, dated 9/64, also shows side repeaters. The Alfa Diass publications list I've compiled does not show any other Sprint GT owner's manual BUT there are a few gaps in the listings. If such an earlier manual exists, it's wiring diagram could shed some light (pun) on the subject.
So too would be the early Sprint GT parts manual #993 (published around 7/64) as the later parts manual, #1313 dated 12/67 shows the side repeaters.

· Registered
762 Posts
Here's a shot of my car, original paint and all, proudly not sporting side marker lights. I don't have it figured out yet, but seems sometime in late 1965 production the side markers showed up.

There are some other detail differences but no others that I've found related to wiring.

Thanks from us all for your time and effort with all the wiring diagrams!

Chuck

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
Physical location of horns on Giulia GT

Hello Papajam

Could you advise where the horns are physically located on the Giulia Sprint GT. I believe there should be one on either side of the radiator ? But I can't seem to find the mounting points .

Thank you
regards
George

16,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct. One horn on each side of the radiator. There should be little brackets welded to the radiator support structure. I'll see if I can find a pic...

· Registered
762 Posts
Here are a couple of photos of my car, a '65GT.

In two of the pictures the horn near the battery tray is removed and you can see the bracket.

My horns are grounded internally via the mounting stud but I've seem others with a short ground wire that attaches to the mounting stud.

Chuck

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
Hello Chuck/Jim

Many thanks for the quick response and the pictures ! Indeed the holes are there but but populated with earth cables and immobilizer switches :-(

I wish you both a Happy and Prosperous New Year
Regards
George

· Registered
762 Posts
George, as you can see, the battery earth/negative cable attaches near the radiator mount, leaving the horn bracket free.

If additional grounding points are needed in the area, you can use a longer bolt to mount the radiator, or a longer bolt to attach the battery ground cable, as both bolts fit open female threaded fittings.

In this photo, you see the non-original bracket I've bolted to that radiator mount (it allows me to locate 4 new relays ).

Happy New Year to you, too!

Chuck

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
HI Chuck

Two questions for you if I may.
What colour should the horns be originally - let me confirm the original horns are 'fiam' ? They seem to be half plastic and half steel - should they be left like that or should the steel part be painted black too ? The diaphragm has rusted on mine so I'm looking for a pair of diaphragm or a pair of horns.
Another query where is the engine earthed ? Mine has a earth strap hanging at the chassis earth pointed clearly indicated by your photos , based on these photos I will re-arrange the earth and gorn locations - again many thanks for pics !

Thank you
Regards
George

· Registered
762 Posts
George,

The horns could have been Fiamm, Mixo or Bosch according to the factory parts manual. Mine are Mixo and are all black. I'll get you some detailed photos today if I can.

The engine is grounded via a substantial braided copper strap that attaches to one of the engine-to-transmission bolts on the intake side and to the body at the head of the transmission tunnel. Again, let me see if I can get a photo for you.

Chuck

· Registered
6,374 Posts
George,

If your horns are the FIAMM 'Mercury' type (with the brown bakelite bottom half), as fitted to my own Sprint GT, the tops are painted with an orange-bronze hammertone paint that I have been unable to replicate. I bought one of these horns from a wrecked 2600 a few years ago, and this one was painted in a golden-bronze hammertone paint - also original. From this I can only assume that FIAMM used whichever paint was available.

See also an old post of mine here.

Mixo horns seem to have been painted gloss black, Bosch horns satin black, judging by what I have found in old parts stashes.

· Registered
30 Posts
Hello Chuck

I think I know which one you are referring to viz the thick braided copper strap. So this is the only grounding strap from engine to chassis, there is not grounding from battery negative to chassis ?
Thank you for the reply on the horn colour.

Regards
George

· Registered
762 Posts
George, if you'll look again at the photos above you'll see the battery's negative cable attached to the radiator support bracket, just above and forward of the battery tray. That radiator support bracket has two female threaded attachment points, the side-facing for the battery cable.

I don't have and couldn't get much of a photo of the braided strap, but here's what I have (first from below; second from above); hopefully they help. There's a small bracket protruding just at the entrance to the transmission tunnel, on the intake side: the strap bolts on there and then spans over to the engine/transmission joint where it attaches to one of those bolts.

My Mixo horn is glossy black on the top dome (which is metal) and the expected satin black Bakelite on the lower/trumpet side.

I've added two photos of a Bosch horn showing the ground wire and the electrical connections, which vary from the Mixo. You'll also notice that the materials are reversed on the Bosch: the top/dome is Bakelite while the lower/trumpet is metal. (You can see the gloss black paint flaking off the pot-metal [?] trumpet.)

Chuck

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts