Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still trying to sort out how to wire a '90's Nippodenso alternator into my '65 GTV race car. Some of you may recall an earlier thread on this topic.

The alternator in question is from a mid-90's Geo Metro or Suzuki Swift.

As purchased, it has:

- one big lug (obviously wired from the battery)
- Three spade connectors:
D
L
IG

I recently learned that an automotive electrical business can replace the regulator so it has just one connector besides the big lug.

So:

- Does anyone know how to wire the three connectors D, L, IZG?
- Does anyone know how to wire just one connector? Would it go to the idiot light?

Doug Bender

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I picked up the alternator today, and here's what they did---they set it up so there's only one wire, the big one from the battery that goes to the lug on the top. Simplifies things a lot. The only downside, as far as I can see, is that I won't have an idiot light.

Doug B

·
Super Moderator
10,373 Posts
Doug:

When I installed a Nippondenso alternator on my Giulia Spider, it had only two light-duty lugs in addition to the 6mm stud. I assumed that the one marked "IG" went to the ignition switch, and functioned to tell the alternator when to start alternating. I guess these ND alternators will start producing current even when just the battery/heavy-duty connector is used (as your's is wired now), but providing power through the "IG" connector gets them to start at lower rpms. I'm really guessing here - I can say that I connected my "IG" terminal this way, and it didn't do any damage.

You could experiment to determine which of the other terminals will run the idiot light. You know that one side of the bulb connects to the ignition switch (same terminal as coil & fuel pump), while the other side is grounded through the alternator. So, the correct terminal will show ground with the alternator not spinning, and +12 when the engine is running. On the 2 terminal ND alternator in my Giulia, the non "IG" terminal does not operate the warning light. But, perhaps on your 3 terminal alternator, one of the connectors will work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
light weight alternator

We're looking for a lightweight alternator to replace the big, stock Bosch unit in the 1972 GTV race car. Can anyone suggest an aftermarket alternative? Manufacturer and part number would be very helpful, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts