Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody sell an aftermarket wiring harness for spiders?? I am in the process of redoing just about everything in my 73 spider and cant seem to locate anybody who does since its looks pretty tired. Hey Anthony interested in rewiring my spider???

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Don't know of any makers of Spider specific harnesses but the company at this website makes universal harnesses. What exactly is wrong with yours? I've restored countless harnesses and it's not all that difficult.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
tito,
i can't tell you how much my hands hurt after the last time i did that. cutting new wires and putting new connectors isn't bad, it's putting the tape around all the wires that is the butt kicker. there has gotta be someone that reproduces them.

·
16,232 Posts
If you can't find a suitable replacement harness, then please consider letting me restore your old one.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi

You may wish to try some of the companies in Australia. I have attached Vintage Wire hyperlink below. There is another company down under that fabricates harnesses but I dont have their contact... learnt about it from a workshop owner who orders them in. Each harness cost approx less than A$400.

But before you get too happy with the link, from their site, it appears that vintage wire dont do the kamm tail harness

http://www.vinwire.com.au/vehicles.htm

My 35 year old duetto just came out of the painters, having stripped everything from it leaving a rolling shell, I became very concern about the state of the wires and really thanked God that the car had not given me more problems ( like fires??)... so much so that I am not driving the car till I put in a new set of wires.

I have decided to make my own instead of buying a new harness... yep a sucker for pain. Thankfully, it took me only afew hours to cut, layout and bundle the harness together. will be adding the cable lugs and connectors in the next 2 evenings. With proper wire stripping tools and cable lug crimpers, it is actually quite easy.

after spending a few days studying and planning the wiring circuit and actually constructing the harness, there is no longer any mystery in the electrics. It is actually very simple. I am wiring the car back to original specs. Total wire used about 130 meters of varing sizes.

As I had some difficulty locating automotive pvc wires, I thought I would buy the next best thing... Teflon insulated wires, yes it is an over kill! probably about 100% more expensive but what the heck this is one heck of a job and I want to do it only once. These wires will stand up to anything the car can throw at it, its resistence to tempt and oil is way better than ordinary pvc auto wires, which is added security. so no more scary wires with cracking insulation jackets etc for a long time to come.

By the way, if you are going to redo some bits, please use the proper AWG gage wire and also of the proper tempt and oil rating. Dont just use any ordinary pvc wires as they dont last as the heat and oil will degrade the insulation quickly leading to crack insulation jackets etc... scary!

frank

·
16,232 Posts
I always solder the connector to the wire instead of crimping. A little extra time spend now will give you much more seat time instead of spending hours of trying to find all the electrical gremlins that will show up in the coming years when the crimps start to corrode and loosen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiring harness

Does anybody sell an aftermarket wiring harness for spiders?? I am in the process of redoing just about everything in my 73 spider and cant seem to locate anybody who does since its looks pretty tired. Hey Anthony interested in rewiring my spider???

Try using NextGen Wiring for your wiring harness, they can make you harness usually in about a week. Talk to Garry and he will be able to help you out.

NextGen Wiring | Wiring Harness supplier

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
You are welcome to try my website at classicwiring.com - Home Although, I do not have one for a spider currently listed expect prices to be about the same as the same period GTV's .

Lionel

·
Registered
7 Posts
It seems that your wiring needs to be put right. Original is always beter and unless its been cut into more than 30% its easier to start with what you have
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts