Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently stripping a 1974 Spider, should go to the bodyshop soon. How can the wiring harness be removed ? I see no way to get harness which goes from the console to the fusebox out (not enough space where it goes behind steering wheel). Do I need to remove all plugs (please say no).

Thanks
Robert

·
Administrator
17,768 Posts
Since I doubt the wires were stuffed into the car then the plugs attached afterwards when it was assembled at the factory I'd say, 'no', you shouldn't need to remove the plugs to get the harness out. Most likely is you need to pull some of the harness out then carefully push the plugs through the firewall opening one by one. The first few will be a tight fit until enough of the harness has been removed to make space for any larger plugs.

Sounds like you are doing a total body restoration/paint. Got pictures? We likes pictures - especially befores & afters.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Since I doubt the wires were stuffed into the car then the plugs attached afterwards when it was assembled at the factory....
Right, the factory attached the terminals to the wires before installing the harness.

But, they may have installed the harness before they installed the steering column. It sounds like the "pinch point" Robert is encountering is between the body and the column.

Robert, if you intend to keep the steering column in place while you car is being repainted, you might gain some room by loosening the three bolts holding the box to the frame, removing the two bolts holding the column to the body, and trying to push it downward.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Eric and Jay,

will try to remove it next weekend. Maybe can get access after removing the brake booster which is still in.
@Eric: Will take pictures before it goes to the bodyshop. Currently have only tons of detail pictures which will hopefully help me to get all parts together afterwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts