Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mirrors and switch I have came with all of the male female 'sockets' with the wire ends cut off. Wiring all but the hot wire - red/black - and two black ground wires on the right mirror are a given.

However the red/black wire goes to the switch only which means that it has to be in continuous contact with all of the other wires - except when static. Isn't that asking a bit much from the switch? I'd like to add a relay but would need suggestions as to how to wire it and would it use a 0440 or 0441 Sipea relay?

Secondly, does the right mirror's two black wires go to ground/body and to a relay?

My May 1985 GTV6/Milano shop manual is for electrical and heated mirrors with the switch having seven wires rather than six and the wire colors are different from the switch I have - so it is more confusing than helpful. It does have a pink wire going to the rear defroster relay.

Any help, especially the wiring of a relay, would be much appreciated.

Biba

·
Administrator
17,385 Posts
The Alfa wire diagrams are rather cryptic and hard to read. Below is a snip from the '81 schematic ('82's looked the same).

I do not think the mirrors have any associated relays.

(#74 = mirror switch, #82 = mirror)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh shoot Eric, I apparently forgot to hit Post Quick Reply on my earlier post. Bottom line is that I fired up the mirrors earlier today. Both work fine side-to-side. However...the up-down works only on the left mirror, no matter which position (left or right) the switch is in.

I would think that if the right mirror works side-to-side, it should also work up-down. Wiring wise, I have not a clue what/where to change.

I just took this photo to double check I'd put everything back corectly when I'd prevously cleaned the contacts. Looks fine to me, except...that the upper hole for the tiny screw bridges two contacts. I checked it and it doesn't appear as if it could touch both at the same time since, to repeat, it is very small. I'll add a tiny strip of heat shrink to the screw but am sure it won't have any effect on the odd up-down situation. If it was bridging both contacts, then both mirrors should move up-down in either left or right position.

I really, really hate situations like this.

Biba

Attachments

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best I've come up with is that the up/down gear isn't working on the right mirror. The motor seems to be working so I want to remove the mirror. Is it a matter of keep prying until it comes off (hopefully in one piece)? First I moved the mirror so that it was up as high on the side as I could get it. Then pryed pretty hard, but it wouldn't pop out. What is the solution? I received the left mirror with the mirror removed and the motor was loose. I gather it is a push in first on the motor until it clicks, then on the mirror. Correct?

Next question how does one remove the stupid "Things are closer than...". I belive the mirror is coated on the outside (might be wrong) in which case the mirror itself will come off when scratched.

This one is stupid, but important. Does anyone have a collection of tiny sheet metal screws? I lost one of the two screws holding the back of the swith on. It is a Round head Phillips head sheet metal 2.22 mm x 9 mm - or - .09" x .35".

A larger diameter sheet metal screw or a wood screw in that diameter won't work (have both), need threads all the way up.

Sigh.

Biba

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ghnl, or in the off chance someone reading this has had the same problem and solved it. Both mirrors worked perfectly on the bench, but now that the left mirror is installed (a bit of a bother) the mirror goes side to side only. Meaning it also goes side to side when the lever is pushed up and down.

The right mirror is loose but when hooked up, it does what it's supposed to.

I'm pretty sure the yellow wire is the up down one, but when I switch out the right and left yellow wires, the right mirror still works fine and the left still only goes side to side.

No switched wires. I finally got matching straight tracing wire so that doesn't enter into it.

The switch is installed and I'm about to take it off and open the back. I hate doing it because of the little fiddley contacts with the minuscule springs. Can't think of anything else to try.

Feel free to offer any suggestions since I'm not expecting to see anything unusual inside the switch.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can all relax. I'm sure you're all relieved, but hooking up the right mirror to the left mirror's connectors, it too will only go side to side.

Not solved, but at least I now know where to look.

What with the speaker wires and four wires for the power windows, along with the three mirror wires, it is a bit of a wiring nightmare, but should be solvable.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All smoke is still in the wires. I really don't like telling on myself, but...to simplify matters I used my battery charger for power and of course attached the negative clamp to the black wire coming from the switch. Here's the duh part - I grounded the mirror's wire to the inside of the door, so of course everything was grounded. Only trouble was that the grounds weren't speaking to each other. I then ran a temp ground from the ground + battery ground clamp to the door ground. Worked fine than. I'd even taken the mirror apart to see if anything was amiss there. Sigh.

I believe one isn't supposed to use doors for grounds, but I had both doors open and ran the ohm meter's wires to each and I had complete continuity. I figure when they're closed, it definitely insures continuity.

This was to be the day I finally get to install my new door panels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts