Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The diagrams I have do not match the physical parts. Does anyone have an image of their old school, post style(or blade style) VR correctly wired up?

This sounds ridiculously simple...I know, but I want to avoid damaging the VR by hooking it up wrong.

This is for my 67GTV...but I think it's the same for any pre 67. Picture is of the original with post connections.

Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,074 Posts
Richard:

I pulled out an old regulator that I have in one of my boxes of parts. Mine is a little later than yours - it has spade-type terminals, instead of screw-on, but otherwise looks the about the same. One difference: mine has 4 terminals visible from the "overhead" view, basicly one on each of its 4 corners. Only 3 terminals are visible on yours from "overhead", though I am guessing that I am seeing the fourth terminal in the lower LH corner of your photo taken from "underneath".

Mine has its terminals labeled - this is done with stamped letters/numbers on the mounting frame. The photos you posted of your regulator shows it from about every angle except the one that would display the markings!

The four terminals are labeled "B" (battery), "D" (dynamo), "DF" (dynamo field), and "61" (well, that one isn't so obvious, but it goes to the "gen" warning light). I am guessing that the terminal that is underneath your regulator is the connection for the warning light. Then of course, there is a fifth terminal in the mounting frame for the ground from the generator.

The heavy gauge wire that goes to the fusebox attaches to the "B" terminal. The "D", "DF", and ground terminals attach to a 3-wire harness that runs to the generator. The connection points for this harness on the generator are labeled "D+" (goes to "D" on the regulator), "DF" (goes to "DF" on the regulator), and "D-" (goes to ground on the regulator). And, the wire for the warning light that attaches to the "61" terminal is significantly smaller in gauge than the others.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice car...and thanks

Alfacoine,

Thanks for the pic. It's never too late. Others who encounter the same problem will need to view this thread...and will most certainly benefit from the perfectly original shot of the correct voltage regulator and wiring details. Nearly every car I've seen has used the wrong connectors and the wrong VR.

Your car looks like it's in pretty good shape. Do you have any other pics online?

BTW - my car was originally the same color blue.

Richard

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OEM style electrical parts for 67 gtv

1750GT,

I purchased parts from all those suppliers and found no rubber boots that match oem spec. The large (3/8?) rubber boots from RI Wire are $3.50 each and are pretty close...but not a match. Hard to explain the shape in words...

As far as VRs go, nobody has NOS, 4 post "made in germany" units pictured in the blue car above. Maybe ebay will have one show up...once in a while.

I found a 3 post "made in brasil" unit from alfa parts in berkely. Good price too.

...I'll post pics is I can find time.

R

·
Registered
1 Posts
Richard:

I pulled out an old regulator that I have in one of my boxes of parts. Mine is a little later than yours - it has spade-type terminals, instead of screw-on, but otherwise looks the about the same. One difference: mine has 4 terminals visible from the "overhead" view, basicly one on each of its 4 corners. Only 3 terminals are visible on yours from "overhead", though I am guessing that I am seeing the fourth terminal in the lower LH corner of your photo taken from "underneath".

Mine has its terminals labeled - this is done with stamped letters/numbers on the mounting frame. The photos you posted of your regulator shows it from about every angle except the one that would display the markings!

The four terminals are labeled "B" (battery), "D" (dynamo), "DF" (dynamo field), and "61" (well, that one isn't so obvious, but it goes to the "gen" warning light). I am guessing that the terminal that is underneath your regulator is the connection for the warning light. Then of course, there is a fifth terminal in the mounting frame for the ground from the generator.

The heavy gauge wire that goes to the fusebox attaches to the "B" terminal. The "D", "DF", and ground terminals attach to a 3-wire harness that runs to the generator. The connection points for this harness on the generator are labeled "D+" (goes to "D" on the regulator), "DF" (goes to "DF" on the regulator), and "D-" (goes to ground on the regulator). And, the wire for the warning light that attaches to the "61" terminal is significantly smaller in gauge than the others.

Hope that helps!
Then years later,
this is Philippe from France
Do you have any other pics of the engine compartment showing wiring connections ?
Your car is exactly the same as mine, same year , and 2 monthes older ...
Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts