Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gtv6 with a 3.0L out of what I think is a milano...

I noticed that the low oil pressure warning switch is in the block (next to the dipstick) but doesn't have any wiring coming from it. As far as I understand the GTV6 didn't have a warning light, just a pressure gauge.

I was wondering how I might wire up an independent warning light to make use of the switch in the block....

It seems like it should be a relatively easy wiring job, but would I need a "matched" light for the switch? The way you need a matched gauge for a pressure sender?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nope, its just a switch so just about any small 12v lamp will work. Even 12v LEDs. Wire a fused, ignition switched hot wire to one side of the lamp and connect the other side to the switch on the engine.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, its just a switch so just about any small 12v lamp will work. Even 12v LEDs. Wire a fused, ignition switched hot wire to one side of the lamp and connect the other side to the switch on the engine.

The switch I have is two post. I'm assuming that one post serves as ground no?

·
Registered
175 Posts
You made me stop and think there. The 2 wire sender that is down low (and not present on the original gtv6 motor) is the oil LEVEL sensor that feeds the ARC on a Milano. I think it would require some additional electronics to work with a stand-alone light. As I understand it, they werent too terribly accurate or reliable when new. I don't have one on my milano because my engine originally came from a gtv6.

The oil pressure switch should be located on the back of the head not too far from the sender for the gauge. It will be small and have a single 1/4" connector. I think I have a spare head with one on it. If so, I will post a picture.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,239 Posts
Radioal is right. You're probably looking at the oil level switch in the side of the oil pan. IIRC this is a 5V device powered by the ARC computer on the Milano, so no way to hook it up on a GTV-6.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea it’s definitely a two post.

Theoretically, wouldn’t I just need to figure out what resistance the switch outputs to wire it up to a dummy light?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Tread

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,239 Posts
No, you're misunderstanding: you literally cannot wire that up to an oil pressure light. First off it doesn't measure oil pressure, it sticks into the oil to ensure the oil is above minimum level in the sump. And you can't use it to measure oil level either on a GTV-6, as it requires the Milano ARC to power it at startup (it works via a bimetallic strip that opens faster if the probe is in air and not oil).

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
I agree with the others, for the effort, way more useful to hook up the low oil pressure switch to an idiot light.
You should be able to hook that into the fourth unused segment in the gtv6 panel with the brake and o2 sensor light. Seems last time I really looked at the wiring diagram you just need a clip spade to push into an existing socket in the connector.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No, you're misunderstanding: you literally cannot wire that up to an oil pressure light. First off it doesn't measure oil pressure, it sticks into the oil to ensure the oil is above minimum level in the sump. And you can't use it to measure oil level either on a GTV-6, as it requires the Milano ARC to power it at startup (it works via a bimetallic strip that opens faster if the probe is in air and not oil).
I understand it’s an oil level light.

Earlier I thought it was an oil pressure switch. Switch being an on/off unit that simply completes an electrical circuit to illuminate a warning light.

But now with this understanding of it be being as a bimetallic switch is inside this unit, I am now simply wondering if it is possible to wire it to illuminate a light to tell me if the oil level is low.

if I understand simple circuits correctly, all this thing does is send a signal to a computer which then tells a light to turn on.

Theoretically, can I tell that light to turn on without a computer ? Provided the independent loom had the correct resistance in it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the others, for the effort, way more useful to hook up the low oil pressure switch to an idiot light.
You should be able to hook that into the fourth unused segment in the gtv6 panel with the brake and o2 sensor light. Seems last time I really looked at the wiring diagram you just need a clip spade to push into an existing socket in the connector.
interesting... my o2 sensor light doesn’t work... most of the wiring behind the dash had been modified by the previous owner. I was just curious what that switch did and whether or not it’s be able to wire to a dummy light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts