Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We make the Turrino alloy rim wire wheels in England and need some information regarding the 2000/102 & 2600/106 hubs so we can offer conversion kits
There is conflicting information out there about the use of the 1900 (42mm) hubs on these cars albeit with different bearings. We have the 1900 drawings and can supply these kits already.
What I really want is the loan of original 102 & 106 hubs so we can measure up and know exactly what can be done.
We could then make the 52mm hubs as per the Borrani kit or 42mm could be offered as well using the 1900 hubs if this also feasible.
Can anyone help please?

Our wheels would be made with 16 inch rather than the metric 400 rims.

Many thanks
Will Tomkins

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Hi Will,

I wrote this a long time ago but perhaps it will be of some value to you:

Wire wheels can transform your car in a way you have to see to believe. The following will be a description of component requirements, installation suggestions and the results that can be expected in performing a wire wheel conversion. This is not a step by step guide on how to convert your car to wire wheels but rather some of the basics that may help the next victim find his way through this 'learning experience'. If your car is 'under restoration', you should strongly consider finishing the restoration project prior to starting this conversion.

The stock, five bolt hubs on 2000 and 2600 cars are 'T-52', which roughly corresponds to an inner wheel bearing diameter of 'up to' 52 mm. For those of us who want to convert our cars to wire wheels and are lucky enough to have chosen a 'Two-Liter', we have two choices! The very rare, T-52 hubs with splines and wire wheels, that came on just a few cars by special order, or the much less rare, 'T-42' splined hubs and wire wheels that were used on many of the 1900 cars. This second option will require the use of new wheel bearings, washers and seals to convert the T-42 splined hubs to fit the Two-Liter's front stub axles. I used the following from Timken:
Inner bearing, #32007XM; Outer bearing, #30204 with a CR Services oil seal # 17734 (which is 45x65x8 mm).

Wire wheels seem to come in an almost unlimited number of different diameters, widths, offsets and hub types. Indeed, there are many different configurations! The truth is there are just a few choices for our cars. The stock-option Borrani wire wheel for a 2000 or a 2600 is identified by stampings on the aluminum rim 'RW 3906' and 'ROUTE BORRANI' with RW indicating Rudge Whitworth. These 5.0" wide, 400 mm diameter wheels have T-52 wheel centers and require T-52 splined hubs and knock-off nuts to complete the set.

The early 1900's came with 16" diameter wire wheels, while the later ones sported 400 mm rims. The 16" rims were available in either steel or aluminum. The factory option wire wheels had the following identification, RW 2857 (5J X 400, T-42 Hub, 'Record' or aluminum wheel rim, 72 spokes, 'no dimple' spoke holes; according to Borrani) and RW 2755 (400 X 165 {actually the tire size}, T-42 RC Hub, spoke count and wheel type not listed (possibly steel) according to the Registry of Italian Oddities).

If you have a 2600, you may have only one choice for converting it to wire wheels, the very, very rare 'T-52' hubs previously mentioned. It is possible that Aston Martin or Jaguar hubs or wheels may fit but they will look different. The 2600 hub's differ from the 2000's in that the former has disc brakes and the latter, drum brakes. One friend even tried to use two rear spiders on the front of his 2600 but (fortunately?) they would not go over the 'nose' of the T-52, stock hub. It might be obvious now but I had to ask, the T-52 splined hubs will only work with wire wheels that have a T-52 splined wheel center and T-52 knock-off nuts. The same is true for T-42 hubs, wheel centers and knock-off nuts, they can not mix and match.

Surprisingly, if you can find them, the front splined hubs will still have five lug bolts (at least for the 1900/2000 cars). The bolt heads are on the inner portion of the hub, toward the center of the car. Like the stock lug bolts, lug bolts on splined hubs are 14 mm X 1.5 mm, just shorter so that they do not rub on the back of the wheel centers (note: see warning below!). Alfa Romeo used a flat metal ring with tabs (similar to those on the Alfa Romeo cam timing sprockets but with 5 tabs) that could be bent up, to prevent these nuts from loosening. It should not be necessary to fabricate this ring or even use a thread locking compound on the front lugs. Note: if you use Lock-tite Red on these nuts, like I did, then realize the hubs are on the wrong stub axles, it is very difficult to remove them! It can be done, requires a T-42 (or T-52) splined hub remover, available in most old Ferrari tool kits and a torch to heat the Lock-tite and wrenches on both ends of the connection. The purpose of the lug bolts and nuts on the splined hub (front) is to hold the brake drum in position. The knock-off nut does this job when the wheel is on.

It is necessary to replace the stock lug nuts with thinner nuts as the wheel center has a tapered mounting surface that must mate with the inner 'cone' on the splined hub. It was interesting to note that on my T-42 splined hubs, all the lug bolts (or studs) were Right Hand Thread, unlike the stock hubs which are LHT on the left side and RHT on the right side of the car. In spite of this fact, the threads for the knock-off nuts on the splined hubs were RHT on the left side and LHT on the right side of the car.

The rear splined hubs or spiders will just bolt right on over the stock lug studs. The only problem is that the stock lug studs are all too long and will hit the back side of your wheel centers. WARNING: If your wheel centers rest on your lug studs or nuts and not on the mating surface, this will result in rapid spline wear and stripped hubs. To prevent this occurrence, you can pull out the rear axle half-shafts, press the bearings off and then press out the old lug studs and replace them with 34 mm studs. An alternative is to take the easy way out and just cut the lug studs off to the desired length, about 25 mm from the hub face or about 35 mm of total length but please measure for yourself! I used a Sawzall with a section of copper pipe as a guide but probably a better tool would have been an abrasive, cut off wheel or grinder. After cutting the lug studs off, a grinding stone with an internal cone, attached to a drill, was used to bevel the end of all studs. Again, you will need to replace your lug nuts with thinner nuts to prevent them from hitting the back of the wheel. Remember on the left rear you will need thinner, LHT nuts or you can machine (or cut with a hacksaw) the taper off the stock (to about 10 mm), LHT brass nuts.

When you are ready to install the splined hubs, make certain that the bearings are fully seated on the front half shafts, which will have a LHT and a RHT adjusting nut. One of my shop manuals suggest that: while turning the hub, you apply 18 ft-lbs of torque to the castellated nut, then back it off 1/4 turn then re-torque to 10 ft-lbs. and tighten slightly if necessary to insert a cotter pin through the castellated nut and stub axle. Following this method, I found that after driving about 100 miles the front bearings were loose. It was necessary to tap, with a two pound dead blow hammer, on the splined hub fairly hard in order to fully seat the bearings. Next, two large washers, 4 mm thick, were required just under the castellated (crown) nut. One of the large washers had to have a hole in the center with an internal diameter of 0.810", so it could partially go over the bearing seat or shoulder. The other washer was the stock washer for the 1900 hubs. Most likely if you can find the stock T-52 hubs and wheels this will not be necessary.

The large nut that holds a wire wheel on is called a 'knock-off'. They come in three basic styles and three standard sizes. The most common Italian knock-offs are made by Borrani, in either a two eared or a three eared version. The two eared version was first available with a convex center cap and then later (around 1962) with a concave center cap. Both styles of Borrani knock-offs have 'Route Borrani' and the Borrani symbol, which is an open hand. The symbol looks like the hand you would see when someone says "raise your right hand and repeat after me". My favorite two eared knock-off is the 'Alfa Romeo' script knock-off which is nearly made of Unobtanium (Ut-?). The three sizes that hubs and knock-off nuts are commonly found in are T-32, T-42 and T-52. The smaller T-32 are generally found on older and lighter cars. I have been told that the T-42 and T-52 hubs are both commonly found on Alfa Romeo and Ferrari automobiles. Special wrenches are available to torque knock-off nuts to their prescribed torque value of approximately 325 ft.-lbs. or soft lead headed hammers can also be used, very carefully. It is important to note that the knock-off nuts for wire wheels with splined hubs are left hand thread on the right side of the car and right hand thread on the left side of the car. This configuration is just the opposite of the stock lug nuts! If the splined hubs and knock-offs are installed on the wrong side of the car they can loosen and possibly come off.

Thinking that the 16" wire wheel would give a larger tire selection, I tried a set from a 1900, S-1. I soon found out that the 4" X 16" rim, combined with the tight fender space in the Two-Liter, meant that most tires would not fit. The ones that would fit were more 'vintage looking' than I could accept. For example the Michelin Pilote X Course and Michelin Englebert (non-radial), both are available in a 550 X 16" size, with a 27.1" Outside Diameter as compared to a 26.6" O.D. stock tire. I tried a 600 X 16" Borrani wire wheel and tire combination and it was huge and could not work!

The final result for me, after returning the 6" X 16" wire wheels and selling the set of 4" x 16" wire wheels, was to use a set of alloy rimmed, RW 3598 wheels (5.5 x 400, T-42 RCF Hub, 'Record' wheel, 72 spokes and dimpled rims) from a Ferrari 250 GT. The wire wheels are supposed to be stronger and lighter than the disc wheels but they do require some maintenance and are more difficult to clean. I had 'on the car', high speed precision balancing done so that the brake drums, wire wheels and hubs are all balanced as an assembly. For a car that is used occasionally for evening drives and for shows, I feel that this was a very worthwhile addition that transforms the car in a way that you would have to see to believe! Wire wheels complete the picture; much like the one Alfa Romeo
used in their early advertising.

SUPPLIERS LIST:
WIRE WHEEL REBUILDING SERVICES:

PRECISION WIRE WHEEL SERVICE
Cork Adams, 412 S. 10th Street/ Quincy IL 62301, USA
P) 217-228-8315
Cork, a 'Master wire wheel builder' can turn a set of 'trash' wire wheels into a work of art! ( He is a pleasure to do business with too!) Just allow at least 12 weeks to restore a set of five wheels. He uses polished stainless steel spokes and nipples. Wheel centers get 'show chrome' plating a layer of Copper is plated on the base metal (steel hub) and polished. Next, a layer of Nickel is plated over the Copper and finally a very thin layer of Chrome, just a few microns thick, is plated over the Nickel.

Dayton Wire Wheels
Dayton Ohio, 937-438-0100
sells new wire wheels and rebuilds old wheels with stainless spokes and chrome plated nipples, that will rust (if they ever get wet inside the threads) and bleed down the spokes.

Wire Wheel Service:
James Wilson,
P)310-399-9492
328 Lincoln Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291

California Wire Wheel:
Jim McGhee
P) 619-698-8255
San Diego

WIRE WHEELS

TAW Vehicle Concepts Inc., Lakewood CO 80028
TED WEIBEL can supply Borrani wire wheels, hubs and knock-off nuts from Borrani in about 6 months for about $8,000 per set.

P) 888-235-0910
P) 303-989-3415

Tom Shaughnessy:San Clemente CA 92672
Tom has a huge selection of about 400 Borrani wire wheels in stock. He also buys and sells high end exotic cars.
P) 949-366-6211
F) 949-366-6827
C) 949-378-8405

Buchanon Spoke and rim, can supply new stainless steel spokes and nipples for rebuilding wire wheels and also sells after-market wire wheels.
P) 626-962-4655

MOSTLY BRITISH, Fred Petroske
Fred was able to supply two hubs but also has a small supply of wire wheels.
P) 315-649-2861

MWS House, A Borrani dealer,
Elder Way, Langley Business Park, Station Road,
Langley SL3 6EP, England
F) 01-753-554-7170

TIRES & INNER TUBES:

COKER TIRE ,1317 Chestnut Street/ Chattanooga TN 37402
P)800-251-6336 or 423-265-6368
F) 423-756-5607
Coker Tire can supply, 165 X 400 mm tires (for about $160) and standard tubes from stock (about $15) or tubes with threaded metal valve stems and brass nuts, on a special order basis (about $50-60).

Vintage Tyres
[email protected]
Can supply Michelin, Pirelli Cinturato and Avon Turbosteel radial tires and Dunlop R5 Bias ply.

ROGER KUAUSE TIRES in Oakland CA can supply 'Classico Tubes' with threaded metal valve stems from stock (for about $70 each!)
P) 510-582-5031

SASCO SPORTS, CHARLIE GIBSON in VA can also supply 'Classico Tubes' (for about $60)
when they are in stock.
P) 877-377-7811 or 804-793-0777 or 804-822-7200

Just a few interesting facts:

Carlo Borrani was born in Napa, California.
The origin of the wire wheel can be traced back to Leonardo da Vinci, who designed a wheel
with a hub suspended from the rim by thin metal spokes way back in 1490!
Today a department of five artisans, 'the Borrani wire wheel company' a division of Construzioni Meccaniche RhoSpa, Milan, Italy

It is possible that the CR oil seal may require a different seal number as I recall having to change the seals once. I'll update that information as soon as I can verify the correct seal number.
Mark Strohauer
aka 'IRONBLOCK'

Type 42 splined hubs that I believe Matt Jones at Re-Originals had made up (now sold)
splined_hubsT-42.jpg

Alfa Roadster LH parking lot 5082013.jpg

ROADSTER_AT-LANIER.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Mark for reposting your article. I had recently been sent it by someone else and it is extremely useful.

We're actually trying to get the info together to make the 52mm hubs/adaptors and I will be happy to share what we find eventually. Also photos of the wheels on cars.

I have been offered a loan set of bolt on hubs from a disc brake 2600 and this will be a great start.

We have a 2000 customer on the other side of the planet and I'm still hoping to get access to a 2000 in UK. It's too tricky (expensive) to design stuff up based on someone else's measurements in case any errors are made. I could offer him 1900 hubs but then we won't know the correct wheel offset to build to suit them unless we can compare to the bolt on 2000 hubs.

Will

·
Registered
3 Posts
Juha

I have Borrani 16 x 5 type K Record RW 3582 in my 2600 Spider,
i can loan you what you want but oly in autum, because i'm using Alas in summer
regards
[email protected]

We make the Turrino alloy rim wire wheels in England and need some information regarding the 2000/102 & 2600/106 hubs so we can offer conversion kits
There is conflicting information out there about the use of the 1900 (42mm) hubs on these cars albeit with different bearings. We have the 1900 drawings and can supply these kits already.
What I really want is the loan of original 102 & 106 hubs so we can measure up and know exactly what can be done.
We could then make the 52mm hubs as per the Borrani kit or 42mm could be offered as well using the 1900 hubs if this also feasible.
Can anyone help please?

Our wheels would be made with 16 inch rather than the metric 400 rims.

Many thanks
Will Tomkins

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Hi All,

I have 2 used original 2600 Borrani alu rims 165 X 400 for sale
only the ALU rims ORIGINAL in good used condition

no center and no wires

I prefer trading with 1900css Borrani alu rims

rgds Franco

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Hi Vahtera,
Your car and the wheels look great. I tried to look up the RW 3582 wheels in the Register of Italian Oddities but they were not listed. It could be that Borrani made them up as a 16 X 5" replacement of the original wheels that 'wore' 165 X 400 tires.

On a different note, a friend who had two 2600 spiders sold a very nice one and is asking $140K for the other. He said that the one he sold went for more than 140K.

Mark

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
I have Borrani 16 x 5 type K Record RW 3582 in my 2600 Spider QUOTE]

Can you post a few photographs showing your car and wheels? Also, what type of car did the RW 3582 wheels originally come on?

Mark
I have get wheels and hubs 21 year ago from Borrani Milano and I d'nt know the original car type, I order thos to my 2600 Spider
First of all, the 2600 was not homologated for 16 inch wheels -- hence, it is unlikely that Borrani would supply 16 inch wheels for this model. Borrani would have most likely provided RW 3906 or RW 3735 (a conversion kit listed in a period brochure). Now, while it is technically possible to mount 16 inch tires onto a 400 mm rim, such practice would be dangerous (and possibly illegal).

Secondly, I never found proof that RW 3582 existed and/or for what car they would have been specified. Not even Borrani could supply such information when I asked them a few years ago during a factory visit. About 10 years ago, a set of four RW 3582 with 3-eared spinners was for sale by Milano Spares in Australia., who declared them as 400 mm wheels. Unfortunately, the pictures they send me were not clear enough to read the stamping on the wheels or idfentify the tires they had on them.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Hi All,

I am going to make NEW reproductions

front and rear hubs for AR 1900CSS , 2000 and 2600 touring spider and sprint

T42 and T52 and also the spinners

exact copy from the Original Borrani 's

if someone is interested PM ([email protected] )

rgds Franco

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
About 10 years ago, a set of four RW 3582 with 3-eared spinners was for sale by Milano Spares in Australia., who declared them as 400 mm wheels. Unfortunately, the pictures they send me were not clear enough to read the stamping on the wheels or idfentify the tires they had on them.
A good friend and 2600 Sprint owner Bud McIntyre bought those wheels and 3-eared spinners from Milano Spares. He imported them and a few years later sold the car to Tom Sanor. I don't know if Tom got the wire wheels with the car or not but Tom has since sold the Sprint a few years ago and it was sold 'on' steel wheels, which I believe had been widened and changed to 16" diameter rims. I don't know what happened to the wire wheels but think Tom would know. He just sold his Montreal earlier this year but still has an Alfetta.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

I am going to make NEW reproductions

front and rear hubs for AR 1900CSS , 2000 and 2600 touring spider and sprint

T42 and T52 and also the spinners

exact copy from the Original Borrani 's

if someone is interested PM ([email protected] )

rgds Franco
Hi Franco,

Do you have the dimensions for T42 hubs and wire wheels for a 2000 (102)?

Regards,

Solei

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Franco, the splined adapters (I think they call them spiders if they don't replace the hubs and contain bearings, races and seals) look very nice. So do the two eared Alfa Romeo script knock-off nuts. I did not care much for the three eared k/o's of the Milano Spares set.

A good friend and 2600 Sprint owner Bud McIntyre bought those wheels and 3-eared spinners from Milano Spares. He imported them and a few years later sold the car to Tom Sanor.
This year, while displaying the 1959 Touring Roadster at the 'Atlanta Italian Car Day', Bud McIntyre and Tom Sanor just happened to approach me. Bud mentioned that when he sold his 2600 to Tom, Tom was not interested in the 'Milano Spares' wire wheels. Bud sold the un-restored wire wheels on eBay, I believe it would have been at least 10 years ago.
Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I have a set of 4 pieces Borrani wire wheels RW-3598 5,5 x 400 with 4 hubs and 4 2-ear wheel nuts with Alfa Rome script. All restored
to new condition. The wheels came originally from a Ferrari 250 of the mid '50 and do fit perfectly to the 102 Sprint or Touring Spider 2000 or the 1900 range. With some modifications the set can be used also on the 2600 cars with disc brakes. You can use the original standard
tire in 165 x 400. For more information and photos please contact me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Borrani RW-3598 5,5 x 400 for Alfa 1900 or 2000

Hi All,

I have a set of 4 pieces Borrani wire wheels RW-3598 5,5 x 400 with 4 hubs and 4 2-ear wheel nuts with Alfa Rome script. All restored
to new condition. The wheels came originally from a Ferrari 250 of the mid '50 and do fit perfectly to the 102 Sprint or Touring Spider 2000 or the 1900 range. With some modifications the set can be used also on the 2600 cars with disc brakes. You can use the original standard
tire in 165 x 400. For more information and photos please contact me

·
Registered
945 Posts
pictures of the hubs and spinners
About a year since these pics were posted.
Update?

Looking for a pair of hubs to fit the rear of a '74 Spider and hoping they are compatible with Rudge-Whitworth Triumph or Jaguar wheels?
I know that may sound strange but I'm building a SNO type car on a budget.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi

Here are the original Borranni ones for anyone that needs them

1900 https://www.borrani.com/alfa-romeo-wheels/1900.html
2000 https://www.borrani.com/alfa-romeo-wheels/2000.html
2600 https://www.borrani.com/alfa-romeo-wheels/2600.html

We also currently have stock of the 165HR400 Cinturato CA67 165HR400 PIRELLI CINTURATO™ CA67 | Longstone Tyres

T^he other exciting news for the Alfa Romeo Giulietta is they are now re making the 15" Turb Sport and Turbo Sprint BiMetal wheels again https://www.borrani.com/news.html

Attachments

1 - 20 of 85 Posts