Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put wire spoke wheels on a Spider? Have yet to see one. Always been partial to this look but unsure of what the issues would be and if I could even find some that would fit properly.
Anyone have pictures?

'87 Spider Quad

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I love the look of wire wheels, especially when their on somebody else’s car.

They are a pain in the ..... to keep clean.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am trying to get info on the borrani wire wheels from Dayton Wheels. Telephone request and email request with no definite answer. I guess they don't want to sell to many.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was under the impression that Jim Steck was the Dayton wheel guy for all of the US, thus my recommendation above. Is that who you contacted? He certainly knows what will fit an Alfa.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I followed up with Dayton, they are very knowledgeable on what would apply for my 74 Alfa Spider.
Now I have to decide if I want Chrome or Aluminum Rims.
Chrome: would be less money, less maintenance
Aluminum: would be able 4 to 6 pounds less per wheel and need to be polished regularly.
Both will have stainless spokes so no “adjusting” like old school wire wheels.
Hmmm: decisions, decisions

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have wires (spline drive aka knock-offs) on my Morgan Plus 8.

I remove them for real cleaning periodically--these require more car than bolt on wires as you have to remove the old greas and anti-seize every time you take them off). They're not as bad to clean as people think and were even easier on my Corvette. Just use the recommended cleaning solutions from either British Wire Wheels or Dayton. Spray on and rinse off. I use a spray-on wax to help with the cleaning next time around.

Oh, and the chrome are best if you want good looks and less maintenance (no polishing - heh)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts