Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 650 round trip jaunt on the Pa Turnpike yesterday in the rain. First time in the rain since I purchased her. Both wiper arms seem to hit the hood lip . the drivers more than the passengers. this is about 1/2" below where the hinge on the blade is. the drivers side hit so bad that the wiper arm came loose and starting to climb the windshield until I pulled over and tighened the bolt. this happend 4 times during the trip, which in the rain was a real pain to keep the windsheild clear. they look like new Bosch wiper blades.. is it possibile they are to High ? the hood seams are flush with the fenders not sitting low it is aligned properly, the car has never been wrecked.. to me it seems the previous owner put a new set of blades on just to sell her and they are too high profile. I ordered a set of Valeo's from tirerack which are much lower in height. any thoughts or expereince ? Robb

·
Premium Member
15,537 Posts
I've always stayed with the OEM arms which came with the car. All I've ever done is change the blade itself, and have had no problems.

However, the 94/95 setup is closer to the hood than the B, L, and S, and can rub a little depending on how precise the adjustment is.

·
Registered
857 Posts
experiencing same problem, wipers chafe against bonnet edge. think an extra shim to the hinges would solve this. also check the front buffers to see if the bonnet doesn't latch too low. wiper setup on the 164 is not very easy to access/service.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Search.

This problem has been discussed before in this forum.

Some have had success with "re-bowing" the hood.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a search on re-bowing and wiper issues and found nothing about this issue. the Valeo's got to the house today. I'll try those and then possibly adjust the hood.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Did a search on re-bowing and wiper issues and found nothing about this issue. the Valeo's got to the house today. I'll try those and then possibly adjust the hood.
Mine has a large clearance, but my previous 164 did not.

Is it possible to remove spindle nut and insert packers between scuttle panel and wiper linkage pivot mounting?

-Alex

·
Registered
852 Posts
Lemme know how they work, mine too scuff with the hood but not that bad. My car came with OEM wiper arms/blades, but they used to screech a lot when its cold and also at high speeds they used to chatter. Then I bought bosch wiper blades and replaced OEM blades, now the problem is even worse, they chatter over the windshield at freeway speeds which drove me crazy after a while. I even tried to align the wiper arms but no success. Then I bought a set of used wiper arms with blades along with wiper motor assembly. I changed the wiper arms at first and the screeching and chatter seems to be gone, but again at freeway speeds it starts to chatter a little while going (down)towards the hood. The next option I am gonna try is replacing the wiper motor assembly.

-Pavan.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow.. my problem isnt noise or chatter... I did look thru all of the service records given to me by the previous owner and my 164l has gobe theu 4 drivers wiper arms in her history.. I did get the Valeo's yesterday. I am going to try thin shims under the hood hinge brackets tomm and the Valeos. my olny issues is that the wiper arms hits the hood which cause it to come loose after several swipes and then is wont work at all due to a loose nut....

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Do you have single arm like most 12v models or 24v one with extra swivel link. If the later go to single arm version.

I finally fixed Myron's 95LS by installing 12v arm and rebowing hood by using 2x4 betweeen hood and fixed firewall to carefully increase curvature by lowering hood on wood. Do not close hood and do not get solid wood next to windshield if you try this.

Also be sure you have washer under nut on wiper arm shaft so you can tighten splined arm and fully set it on splined shaft.

Just for grins be sure somebody didn't reverse left and right arms or if arms in correct positions that if single arm lower end not being forced up with excessive spring pressure.

With washer under nut push down on lower part of arm at spring hinge area to overide spring in its pivot point as you torque nut down to lock into shaft splines. This will help keep lower end of wiper arm below bottom of hood.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wipers fixed & first service

Following Steve's suggestion I put a 11 inch long peice of 2x4 right in front of pass. wiper on the fixed firewall and lightly pushed the hood down and up a few times. now i have 1/8 to 3/64 clearance on both wiper arms. No marks or kinks just a bit of re-bowing as Steve said tnx Steve.installed the new Valeo wiper blades.. removed the drivers arm and re-set for the best coverage. Installed new flat washer on top of fluted lock washer and tightend down nut...they seem to both work much better and quieter now. One thing i did notice is the fluteing on the drivers wiper stem is pretty worn and smooth. i might need to key it and the arm in the future to hold it tighter. time will tell. I also did my first Oil change on her. used my 7inch ramps and could reach everything fine. Mine has the 12mm allen bolt which I had... it had a fram filter which i changed to a Mann. 7 quarts of castrol syntec. she looks very clean underneath and took a look at what i would need to get apart to change clutch.. doesnt look to to bad...Ive done a couple fwd clutches and she doenst look any harder except maybe getting to the starter.next week plugs or maybe I will just wait until i do the timing belt since i need to take the plugs out anyways.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
My wife's '92S has a small dent on the upper hood, next to the windshield and about center. Almost over the passenger side wiper shaft. Guess what? If I look carefully at the sweep of the hood from the driver's side, it has a _flat_ _spot_ just about where the dent is. And guess what? It interferes with the wiper travel! Ah-ha! So we have a dent-induced (very small dent, by the way) flat spot in the hood and will be straightening it soon, and probably in the same wooden fashion.

Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts