Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone help me understand what to do to connect a new four wire wiper motor to an old three wire system, and how to install a diode.

I just bought (ouch!) a new wiper motor from Alfaholics for my 69 Series 1 GTV. The old motor was frozen. The old motor had three wires: red, white and green. The new motor has four: blue/black, blue, grey and blue/white. The new motor came with a diode and a wiring chart. The chart shows the diode attaching to the blue/white wire and then running to the grey wire. This two-into-one combination then takes the place of the old green wire. But, I've never attached a diode before. In fact, I don't even know what they do. The diode has two prongs at the bottom and a metal plate at the top with a hole in it. It looks to me like I cut the blue/white wire in half, attach one end to one prong of the diode, the other end to the other prong and then splice the blue/white to the grey. This would mean that the diode serves as a bridge between the flow of electricity through the blue/white wire before that wire connects to the grey. But before I go hacking up my new motor, I thought I'd see if anyone can give me some direction.

Thanks. Tim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'd seen that thread, but it doesn't talk about how to attach the diode.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
11,366 Posts
Thanks. I'd seen that thread, but it doesn't talk about how to attach the diode.
Tim:

How about just soldering it into the wire?

I don't know anymore about this than you do - show me a scanned copy of the instructions, a photo of the diode, something visual, and maybe I can gain more insight.

Or contact Alfaholics, and request more specific instructions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Jay. I know you've been following my wiper motor saga.

I have contacted Alfaholics. They've been on holiday and then backed up, so I haven't gotten a response.

I think I have my answer. I stopped at a local auto electric shop today. They tested the diode and determined the direction of flow (its not marked on the diode itself). The diode has one in post and two out posts (of the "outs" one is a post and the other is the plate at the top of the diode). They agreed that according to Alfaholics' diagram, I splice the diode into the blue/white wire, then splice the end of the blue/white wire after the diode into the grey wire. The two wires (blue/white and grey) thus become one, making the new four wire motor compatible with my old three-wire setup.

Sorry about no photos. I'm not adept at attaching those, though I know I just need to sit down and do it once.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts