Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Could anyone help me with advice about my 1962 101 Spider wiper motor please?

On the last trip I did in 2019 it rained a lot (in the Lake District in the UK which is renowned for rain).
On the first day of the trip the wipers stopped working after about an hour, and after that worked intermittently for the rest of the weekend.

I thought I’d get the motor refurbished, but the restorer who looks after my car dismantled the motor and says the internals looks fine. He bench tested the unit for a couple of hours and it ran without a problem, and the wiper linkage is also fine, moving freely.

As I use the car for European tours I don’t want the stress of not knowing if the problem will recur, so thought I’d buy a new motor- but neither Classic Alfa nor Alfastop have them available.

is the motor fitted to any other makes of car so that I might be able to buy one from another UK supplier?
Or are there any other options (eg I have a hazy recollection of reading an article about a conversion to a 2 speed motor from a Triumph Spitfire)?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Alan

·
Registered
464 Posts
Is yours Lucas, Bosch, Marelli? My late-built ‘61 has a Lucas motor. I had it rebuilt locally. My past searches on the BB about Lucas wiper motors had very few complimentary comments about them even after a quality rebuild. I haven’t used mine yet, however, since installing it.

eBay and other online searches show motors and core replacement repair & restoration services for Alfa wiper motors offered fairly often. Have you tried that?

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
The Lucas wiper motor has a black plastic "paddle" looking switch about an inch long in line on the power side. It is just a bridge and not attached to anything on the chassis (under the dash) and remains closed giving power to the motor until the motor starts stressing and overheating. When it senses the motor is overheating it breaks the power source and opens the connection to the power as a safety device to protect the motor from damage . With prolonged use it will cycle on and off as the motor goes through heating and cooling cycles thus resulting in intermittent operation as the switch opens and closes.

My best advice is RAIN-X.. It does a great job of giving you the visibility needed even at night and also serves as a lubricant to reduce drag on the wiper sweep on the windshield. I always have a small bottle for any trips I take for all my old cars.. It also saves the occasion for wiper scratches which are more vexing.. I view the whole system as..no pun intended,.... window dressing. U.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Rick may have pointed how the motor stops, and maybe why (too much blade friction). But there could still be other problems. When you say the unit was rebuilt ....... did they fully disassemble everything ...... the motor, cable and wheel boxes (where wiper arms attach) and remove the 50 year old hardened grease and replace with new correct consistency grease?
1594911111393.png

·
Registered
464 Posts
Carl,
If you meant my rebuild (since his restorer just checked his out), then yes on all counts. My electrical shop has taken care of all of my electrical components for 25 years. Not cheap, but thorough.

·
Administrator
3,897 Posts
I will second Uncle D&T's recommendation for Rain-X or Wynns C-Thru, I have a bottle in every car & apply it at the first hint of rain. I tend to view the wipers on my Giulietta's as functional jewelery.

I can recommend MGA Guru for an excellent write up on rebuilding Lucas wiper motors --> Wiper motor rebuild

Barney's MGA Guru site is well worth a visit, the bloke is passionate about MGA's & had a huge Tech Library on line here --> MG Tech Index -- 4000+ pages It's well worth a read, there is lots of Lucas & Girling stuff that is common with our little jewels & much of the other info can be 'expanded' to suit our cars and improve our general knowledge.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You will also find rebuild article in post #144 here

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone - I'm going to discuss the various suggestions with my brother in law who looks after my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts