Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not getting any love over in the electrical forum, so thought I'd check here...

I think I am doing this wiper motor test right, but would appreciate confirmation in case there is something about how this motor grounds that I am not understanding correctly.

4-wire version...I am putting positive power supply to red...and actually have tried all 4 wires...and putting ground to housing. This motor grounds to housing, right? Picture below...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,621 Posts
This post has some details that might be right:

I’m good with electrics but the wiper systems on these cars alway give me a freakin’ headache when I have to figure out how they work, even with the diagrams.

·
Registered
what part?
10,912 Posts
just take it apart, very easy to do.. wash out all that very, very old yucky grease,, check the wires for cuts in the plastic cover, replace when ness. then rebuild it.. use a creamy type grease... like a campagnolo bearing grease.. reg grease is to... tacky?, to thick for it to work end..after you rebuild it, you will notic it will run so much better..

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
should work like you are testing.
but by the looks of that thing, even if it did work, I wouldn't put it back in my car, not
without first opening it and cleaning and checking everything!

·
Registered
107 Posts
As already mentioned, once you have this thing out, don’t put it back in without taking it apart. Trust me it will be worth it. Search for wiper in this section and you will find several excellent write ups.

I did mine recently and concentrated mainly on showing some differences compared to earlier write ups

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know it’s an easy job breaking it open. I’ll try that, test again, and see what happens. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am guessing with all this rust on and armature and fields that this motor should go to the scrap heap. Or is this salvageable with just some cleanup?

If it were a starter, I'd call it cooked but maybe wiper motors are more resilient?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,621 Posts
Oof. I mean, I've seen stuff like that brought back to life, but given that new ones are available I'd probably replace it

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah my feeling as well. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
what part?
10,912 Posts
soft to med. toothbrushes... paint thinner.. some scrubbing and after all cleaned up spray some electrical cleaner on it.. it should come back these wiper units are pretty hardy units.. repaired a few when i was at alfetta motors when i worked there.. the worse one was from a 1966 2600 coupe.. after cleaning really well and changing the brushes.. it work nice

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
crikes! So I take it your wipers haven't worked in the last 20 years or so? ;)

I'd get a new one. Sure you could try clean up that one too and keep it as a spare if you were successful.

Now I know why on the later spiders (well, S4 certainly) they put a plastic cover over the wiper motor!

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brushes actually look ok. I’ll tinker a bit with this. Sort of curious now and nothing to lose.
This came out of a car that sat for many years that I am now rebuilding. Imagine water sat in there all those idle years.

·
Registered
what part?
10,912 Posts
i would carefully clean it use some creamy type grease bike shops that stock ' campagnolo ' bikes and parts use this kind of grease.. and best part..it's italian !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts