Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
b4 I tear things up I am curious if anyone else has experienced the same problem. My wipers only work on low. I assume it is the switch but will soon find out. IS it possible that the motor coukld work on low but not on high?

·
Registered
366 Posts
wipers on low only

Mine has the same problem, but I don't usually drive in the rain that often. Coat the windshield with Rain-X and you hardly need to use the wipers anyway.

Anyone know the cause of the problem?

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
b4 I tear things up I am curious if anyone else has experienced the same problem. My wipers only work on low. I assume it is the switch but will soon find out. IS it possible that the motor coukld work on low but not on high?
What year?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine is a '71. Truthfully I am sorta in the same shop as Kuzman. This car will probabaly never see rain and I will rainX my shield. It has never been parked outside and has not been driven since '89. If this is not a simple fix, or at most a $30 switch it will most likely stay broken. Still, besides the dash dimmer switch it would be the only thing on the car that does not work. That bothers me a little just knowing that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 78 did the same thing after being parked for a few years. I cleaned the contacts inside the switch and now I have 2 speed wipers again.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finished cleaning the contacts and BINGO I have high speed wipers. Thanks. Now I feel muy stupido!

·
Registered
398 Posts
There are some good threads on this. The first thing I would do is get some electrical contact cleaner and spray it into the switches and then work 'em back and forth. Sounds like you've already tried that and it worked! Good to hear!

The other issue that some people have is that the grease in the wiper mechanism itself has gunked up. This can be disassembled, cleaned, and regreased. I wouldn't bother if the problem is fixed, but I suppose it's a project for a rainy day.

Tim

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I regreased the mechanism when I replaced the tubes for the washers. After 18 years in a garage they had disintigrated. Many thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Another possibility for others.

I'm jumping in after the fact here but I experienced the same thing (slow one speed wipers) with my 75 Spider.
The reason was that the foot pump window washer mounted to the inside of the firewall was not connected as it had stopped pumping and the previous guy had removed it.
It has an electrical switch in it so when you pump for water on the screen the wipers take of automatically.
With this switch out of the circut the whole thing doesn't work properly.
I located the wires and plugged them in to the broken pump.
I found that all I had to do to get it to pump again was put a one way valve on one of the in/out tubes and 'presto' the unit pumped water again and the wipers worked at two speeds.
That sort of thing gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and I just smile at my Spider.
Signed
In Love with a car:rolleyes:.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts