Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to put my 88 spider away for the winter months. (November till May). I live in the Michigan Area so the winters are harsh. I would prefer to put the car away and not touch it so I consulted with my mechanic who advised me to do the following. Gas stabalizer, oil change, wheels off ground, and cardboard under car to prevent moisture. (said not to use plastic on concrete). He also said to trickle charge the battery. Is this enough or should I do more. He is a knowledgable guy who worked as a mechanic back in Italy for Alfa so I tend to listen to him. Any advise would be great.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
, wheels off ground,
I never liked that idea. If necessary, I want to be able to move the car (quickly) in an emergency without worrying that it's jacked up.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yo Mort,
I live in Ontario on the MI border (Port Huron).

I'm also Italian.....

Your mechanic is not far off. I prefer to remove the battery and bring it indoors, rather than the dangers of a powered trickle charger... I always find my battery good in the Spring, no depletion.. Recommend you store the battery off cement pavement (use piece of wood and a plastic bag under the battery.

I have not found that fuel stabilizer makes any appreciable difference, but can't hurt.

Keep the top up and use a car cover.

Fresh Castrol 10W40 and good quality filter (with 50mi or so driving) before hibernation.

A little Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder is also a good thing!

I jack my car up on stands, letting the suspension hang.

A few moth balls/ mouse traps if you suspect critters!

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
122 Posts
Man I'm glad I live in Texas!

Man I'm glad I live in Texas! We drive all year round....and, since global warming became a popular topic we have had only a handfull of days above freezing and a handfull above 100. Nice driving all year round. Go figure!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yep! That's what I do:

Marvel Mystery Oil & Stabilizer in a full tank of gas
About (1) teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder
Fresh oil change
Cardboard under the car
Put car on dollies to move around the garage
Remove the battery
Keep the top up
Cover up with car cover
Put bait blocks around the garage to feed the critters

Terry

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
I've stored the Spider for the 9 years I have owned it and never had any issues come Spring. We see temps as low as -20F.......

I agree with and follow the above and would add the following personal twists:
  • Coolant good for -35F or so
  • Windshield washer fluid good for sub-zero temps
  • Full tank of premium gas with a few ounces of Stabil fuel preservative
  • Wash and wax including brushing the top, vacuum, glass, etc.
  • Leave the doors, trunk, and hood ajar so as to not press the rubber gaskets over the winter
  • I use cylinder fogger in lieu of MMO (pick your poison)
  • Baggie w/ rubber band over tail pipe
  • Car cover and wish it pleasant dreams.
Then a glass of wine or two to assuage my loss for the next 6 months.

-Rob

·
Registered
448 Posts
Very interesting discussion! I live in Vermont and I'm planning on putting her up within the next week or two. :(

Below is a photo of what my car looked like last year (my first year of ownership).

I took the following steps:

#1-Cleaned the car in and out very well.
#2-Put gas stabilizer in with a full tank of gas.
#3-Used a battery minder with the battery still hooked up in the trunk. :eek:
#4-Changed the oil and filter the week before putting it away.
#5-Placed a dehumidfying pack in the interior and trunk.
#6-Placed moth ball packets in the car and mouse traps around the garage.
(Killed 6)
#7-Drove car onto plastic tarp and used car cover that came with car.
#8-Folded the tarp up and clipped it to the cover.
My spider shares the garage with a Jeep Grand Cherokee that does heavy winter duty and the snow often melts in the garage so I try to protect the bottom half of the car.
#9-Put a ball of aluminum foil in the tailpipe and covered the end with more foil.

The car started right up in April, first try just like when I put it away.

This year I think there will be some additions to my routine as well as some corrections like "take the battery out of the car".

The IAP list seems a like little overkill, but still very good advice.

I would like to know why putting a plastic vapor barrier between the concrete and my car is a bad thing, not arguing mind you... just would like to know. :confused:

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
No way am I exchanging a cold off season for horrendously salty ocean air thank you very much (besides, the first person to call me a howlie or however it's spelled is likely to get pounded into the dirt, unless they are one of those great big knuckle dragging freaks :D )

BTW, why on earth is there an interstate highway in Hawaii? (think about it.....)

·
Registered
33 Posts
2nd wife was from Hawaii...I'm sure it is beautifull and I managed to find the worst that the state had to offer, but I would rather shave with a cheese grater than visit the birth place of that foul deamon spawn from hell.
Thank god I got the Alfa AFTER we got divorced!!!

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
.. i live here in california.. bring it here , and i will drive it to keep her happy all winter,, we don't have winter here..just spring ,summer, fall, srping..:):):)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
#9-Put a ball of aluminum foil in the tailpipe and covered the end with more foil.

]#9-Put a ball of aluminum foil in the tailpipe and covered the end with more foil - put note on steering wheel to remove before starting;)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'd listen closely to Lowmileage. Consider that he goes through the entire winterizing process on his GTV everynight, not just once a year.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I'd listen closely to Lowmileage. Consider that he goes through the entire winterizing process on his GTV everynight, not just once a year.
:rolleyes:Nothings broken on it yet;)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I see that the MMO is recommended. Once you put a few table spoons in each cylinder Is good to run it for a few minutes?
More like a tablespoon per cylinder. (you can use more if you like, but it's not neccisary, nor is the smoke show pretty to watch come spring)

I'd not run it afterwards as all that will do is cook the oil out and/or thin it with fuel so it eventually runs past the ring gaps into the oil sump. However, rolling the engine over a few times by hand will help spread it around on the cylinder walls a bit.

It's really there to help seal the rings and keep them lubed/prevent them freezing in place, and the cylinder won't get any rust as it's a sealed environment for all intents and purposes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For the MMO treatment I pull the plugs and put about (1) tablespoon full in each cylinder. Do not run the engine after this or you will need to do it again.

Also -before pulling the plugs, make sure there is nothing in the plug well that will fall into the hole when the plug comes out. When I was treating mine this season a washer had fallen into the well from a screw that came out. I did not see it until after I removed the plug. I was just lucky that it did not fall into the hole.

Terry

1 - 20 of 73 Posts