Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although it is a little early, the trees are changing, and I have decided to store my "new" 16Q for the winter. I have just moved my two Duettos into a new 3-1/2 car gararge (not that I built, but am renting.) It has enought room for me to also store the 164 for the winter, which is what I (and SWHMO) want. I have performed a search, and found info on older, non computer controlled cars, but no specific information on a 164.

What are your recommendations on storing a computer controlled car for the winter. I know how to store "older" cars without computers, etc. You can just remove the battery, fog the cylinders, remove the battery, and you are good to go. But I'm not so sure about a computer controlled car. Should I leave the battery connected to a "battery tender" and run the car occassionally? I plan on putting it on jack stands to keep the tires in good shape and can get a car cover to protect the exterior. (I will have it washed and waxed prior to storage)!. I will also put Stabil in the gas tank, which I plan to have completely filled.

But should I keep the battery in it at at least run it for a few minutes (at least until it gets up to operating temperature) or should I just shut it down for the winter, and re-start it in the spring, while storing the battery off site in a warm envrionment?

Your comments are appreciated! This is my first computer controlled Alfa, and I don't want to have problems in the spring when I want to re-start it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Why store a FWD sedan? They drive fine in the winter. I live in New England and truly enjoy the car during those months. Spider and I spend the summer together, though. I think that storing the 164 without battery would be a mistake. You should start it every couple of weeks and run it long enough to warm thoroughly (temp gauge registering).

Mark

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to keep it in good shape as long as I can.

I know that I could drive the 164 through the winter, however, I want to keep it in decent shape as long as I can. The PO drove it through the winters since new and even provided winter tires mounted on steel rims with the car. This has resulted in some rust around the right rear wheel well arch and rust on the undercarriage components. I do have my SHO to drive through the winter.

If I were to drive the 164 through the winter, one of the cars would have to be stored outside, which is a pain when it snows. I have room in my rented garage for the car, but it is behind a house and doesn't have a driveway, so the car will be "snowed in" for the winter. I can put it up on jack stands with plastic underneath to prevent condensation. I could then run it in gear to keep the CV joints, etc. in good working order.

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Although it is a little early, the trees are changing, and I have decided to store my "new" 16Q for the winter. I have just moved my two Duettos into a new 3-1/2 car gararge (not that I built, but am renting.) It has enought room for me to also store the 164 for the winter, which is what I (and SWHMO) want. I have performed a search, and found info on older, non computer controlled cars, but no specific information on a 164.

What are your recommendations on storing a computer controlled car for the winter. I know how to store "older" cars without computers, etc. You can just remove the battery, fog the cylinders, remove the battery, and you are good to go. But I'm not so sure about a computer controlled car. Should I leave the battery connected to a "battery tender" and run the car occassionally? I plan on putting it on jack stands to keep the tires in good shape and can get a car cover to protect the exterior. (I will have it washed and waxed prior to storage)!. I will also put Stabil in the gas tank, which I plan to have completely filled.

But should I keep the battery in it at at least run it for a few minutes (at least until it gets up to operating temperature) or should I just shut it down for the winter, and re-start it in the spring, while storing the battery off site in a warm envrionment?

Your comments are appreciated! This is my first computer controlled Alfa, and I don't want to have problems in the spring when I want to re-start it.
Well if you want to store it right, put it on a truck and send it to sunny, warm Arizona. I will take care of it all winter long. :D

No but but seriously storing these can be trouble again when it warms up and you want to drive it.
Just drive it. it is a good car in the snow. I use to live for 10 years in Flagstaff AZ where we get lots of snow (does not stick around a long) but major storms roll through that dump a lot of snow, the car does very well as long as the tires are good enough for snow. A A/S tire or even snow tire w/o studs work well. Never an issue. Much better than a RWD car. That's why theres a ski pouch and heated seats. LOL!

Jason

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No no no.... San Diego will much better for a Q than Phoenix... OK Jason how bout we split storage duties for Tom! :)

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
No no no.... San Diego will much better for a Q than Phoenix... OK Jason how bout we split storage duties for Tom! :)
I don't know, that salt air....not so hot on cars. Ok you can visit it when you come...haha!

If you are concerned about rust I can understand storing it, I would at least drive it when you can, anytime it is clear or no salt on the roads I would drive it.

J

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have had mine sitting for some time while i collect parts, as long as I start it every couple of weeks, and i got a trickle charge on it, it seems pretty happy, when the car sat without a battery in it for the 6 months it took me to rebuild the engine, i had allot of head aches with sensors that have misteriouly died....

thanks and have a blessed day

·
Premium Member
15,552 Posts
Having spent two years in the DC area, I can attest that, yes, while these cars are great in the snow, the salt they use on the roads in the East and Midwest will destroy it in no time. Store the darn thing, taking it out for a long drive only when the weather is clear and the roads are not wet with salty water. The salt they use destroys almost everything, concrete paving, curbs, bridges, vegetation, and esp older cars.

Now if you were to entrust me with the car for the winter, I could guarantee that the car won't suffer at all here in the NW.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I agree

Having spent two years in the DC area, I can attest that, yes, while these cars are great in the snow, the salt they use on the roads in the East and Midwest will destroy it in no time. Store the darn thing, taking it out for a long drive only when the weather is clear and the roads are not wet with salty water. The salt they use destroys almost everything, concrete paving, curbs, bridges, vegetation, and esp older cars.

Now if you were to entrust me with the car for the winter, I could guarantee that the car won't suffer at all here in the NW.

Take it out when the weather is nice, drive it for an hour or so to get everything nice and hot and up to operating temp. you should be fine. When cars sit they tend to develop oil leaks and other stuff so it will be cheaper in the long run to just give her some good old exercise.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No it's cheaper in the long run to ship it along with the duettos out to Jason and me. :) Alfa's are one of the few marques that have soul and a soul needs sunshine....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Giving it back in the spring would be a problem though. :)

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
I have had mine sitting for some time ...as long as I start it every couple of weeks, and i got a trickle charge on it, it ...
Same procedure for me for cars I don't drive often. Trickle charge and start up at least once a month. Better to also put in gear and drive, if possible, or at least up and down the drive way just to move the gears and brakes.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all Your Kind Offers to "Store" my 164 For Me

I appreicate everyone's kind offers to "store" my 164Q for me. I will seriously consider all of your offers:rolleyes: Of course, you would also have to take the Duettos, which would have to be returned in perfect driving order (you don't want to ask in what condition they are now!):D

From the input you provided, I will keep the battery in the car attached to a "battery tender" and start and run it occassionally until warm shile on jack stands to keep the weight off the tires. Not sure if I can get it out of the garage to drive it on decent days (no driveway to the garage, so it depends upon how much snow we get!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Tom on my motorcycles I use a solar panel charger that uses just the light from the windows in my garage door. They work real well with just a bit of light.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The less I drive it, the more problems I have, the more I drive it, the less problems I have. Go figure. I believe have to drive it on the good days.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Store What For?????

Bro man I have my "92" L its the only car I have and its my daily driver snow rain sun you name We've been there. it has suffered from paint and dents because I have a neighbor whos son is a FACKEN hater him and his pot smoken buddys have done a number jobs on my car...But one day im going to paint it and get the little dents out otherwise the inside is practicly new the PO was very caring with the car. engine is great pulls very good heck Im still getting 183hp on the Dino that just made me fall even more in love with this car. This car NEVER gave me big issuses the only time it did was because I wanted to put an after market intake pipe and such, car didnt like that at all BTW stay away from K&N filters (Cant get into that now) I ran into Idleing issues, stalling, ect.ect. Pretty much I caused the problem. Oh and Dont let your friends drive your car...Unless you want to put in a new tranny:eek: Yea that happened to me too...My Fault:mad: Other than that I cant see How these cars are unreliable...for the TROLL out there who state that they are..all I have to say is My car is going to be 15 to 16 years old now and I constantly have fun leaving the those HONDA FART CANS in the dust AND the BMWs 3series. Bro Keep your Alfa on the road.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The less I drive it, the more problems I have, the more I drive it, the less problems I have.
:confused:How true that is often the case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts