Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To store or not to store, that is my question. I live in Connecticut, where the winters can be tough but also mild. I so envy the California alfisti (Calfisti?), where my Alfa came from, who can run their cars all year long. I'd prefer to keep from storing my car over the winter months, taking it out for a good run on those sunny, dry days. Anyone have any strong opinions, contrasts, arguments on the pros and con's of winter storage?

·
Administrator
17,050 Posts
Anyone have any strong opinions, contrasts, arguments...?
On the AlfaBB? hahaha

I've never really 'stored' a car. I'll make sure it will be okay if not used for a a few weeks or months - fluids up to par, tires properly inflated, body clean, no food stuff left inside, etc. If you park the car 'ready to go' then you can certainly take advantage of the nice days.

One thing I strongly suggest you avoid is to occasionally start the engine and let it idle. If you can't drive it for 45-60 minutes or more let it sit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Winter storage

I have a Boxster that I have stored every winter, from the first of Nov. to the first of May, since I bought the car ten years ago. The car is stored in a heated (to about 53 degrees) garage, so it's not like the ice box most storage garages become when the temp drops.
Prep is basically just changing the oil before storing, filling the tank with gas and some Sta-bil, and plugging in the Porsche battery maintainer. In the spring I just fire it up and drive it back home. The only issue has been a few thumps from the flat spots on the tires for a few miles.
I have had previous experience storing another car in the typical rental storage facility and the biggest problem I saw was that the battery would get very weak after a couple months sitting, so I would have to take it out and drive around to get the battery back up before storing again.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm just across the Sound from you. From late November to around April, I keep mine in a garage with tank full and a Battery tender on it. I keep a dust cover on it. I can take it out on a mild day if I want, but the downsides are (i) salt - our roads get full of it and even when dry it kicks up as dust and is awful for everything about a spider. I also never want to put the dust cover on a dirty car, so it has to be so mild out that I can foresee washing and drying the car before putting it back. (ii) sand - same as salt but chips and scratches instead of corrodes. (iii) potholes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Good to hear. I keep it on a trickle and have so far been getting out about once a week. I guess I'll just run it on those sunny days.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
In 2010 I moved from South Texas To Northern Missouri (job Change) with a 1995 Isuzu Trooper and my 86 Spider. Neither had a speck of rust. Well, the Spider was stored in a concrete floor enclosed storage unit, during the winter, and the Trooper was my daily driver. I would visit the Spider once a month to start it up.

Well...after two Winters the Spider still had zero rust while the underside of the Trooper looked bad.

When I lived in Connecticut, way back when, my buddy would store his 63 Impala SS during the WInter and drive a POS. Man the old SS always looked great!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I store my Spider so I might be a little biased. Aside from a discussion of proper storage techniques, I don't take mine out during the winter months even if it's a dry sunny day. Why? Because there's salt (and lots of other winter crap) on the roads. Even when it's dry have you ever seen the cloud of salt dust kicked up by other cars? You're driving through that and it's getting in, under, inside, throughout every crevice on your car.

I prefer to keep the coating of salt off my car(s) and only bring them out after Spring rains have washed away all the salt.

Cheers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why do you want to store? Don't you like her anymore?

As long as it's not snowy or icy...Spiders are dreadful in both....and you've got fresh fluids, proper tire pressure, etc...why not enjoy her?

Alfa's aren't as fragile as many believe, they actually like to be driven. Go enjoy yourself. Just warm her up before you really kick her, and she'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts