Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do spider owners who store their vehicles in the winter do to keep engine and battery in check through the winter ? I have an 87 quad that is stored in a heated garaged. I pull it out once a month and let it idle for 15 minutes. Is this sufficient ? I also have a battery tender.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i wait for the one sunny day each month and blast the baby up I-90 at about 85mph for about 30 minutes put it back in the garage, cover it and pray for spring.

·
Registered
145 Posts
General wisdom is that it's almost impossible to warm the car up by letting it idle. You never burn out the moisture.

There are a few enthusiasts here that, if they can get to dry roads within a block or two, will take their car out every few weeks and drive it on the highway for a half-hour or more. Others just inflate the tires to their max pressure to cut down on flat-spotting and hook up the battery tender and walk away until Spring.

I inflate the tires, shove some steel wool in the tailpipe to discourage nesting, and leave a window slightly cracked. I hook up a charger for a half-hour every few weeks (it's not where I can leave a battery tender permanently plugged in). And if I get really ambitious, I push the car a few inches to even out the pressure on the tires and bearings.

By the way, the other day we had -12 Fahrenheit...for a high temperature!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fact or Fiction, You be the judge!`

Key concerns are:
add FUEL stabilizer
do Fresh OIL and filter change before Winter storage
Keeping SEALS lubed from occasional running . I do a twenty minute runtime in driveway twice a month.
Tires pressure and rotation
Body concerns like keeping it covered,
Wax job and cover it up.
Salt damage
Battery State and corrosion from charging.

In central NY where road crews liberally salt the roads I will not drive good summer vehicles like Harley, Alfa, and a restored Saab , in the winter until flooding spring rains have washed away all the salt talc which is the byproduct of cars crushing crystal salt.
Instead I'll run the car outside in the driveway for about 20 minutes or so to keep seals wet and to roll tires, and to have a chance to see it run.

Regarding comments on getting sump oil hot enough to vaporize any water from blowby gasses....yes this can be a drawback. Engines will generate almost one gallon of water vapor for every gallon of fuel burned. Although most of the vapor exits the tailpipe, some small percentage will blow past the rings and condense in the cool oil. Twenty minutes or so and this may not be a big concern. With a Spider, I take the battery out for Battery Tender action. Don't use a dumb one amp charger constantly as these can cook the battery. Vapors from the battery while charging are explosive, and can corrode the trunk area.
Everyone has their own way to go about it. Just pay attention to the ones I list at the top and you will address most of the issues.
The best storage is no storage if you live in a salt free area.
SPRING IS ALMOST HERE!!!:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
In addition to the above, I: fill up the tank; add some extra Marvel Mystery Oil; put a tablespoon of MMO in each cylinder; ... and perhaps most importantly ... hang a moth ball pack in the engine compartment, ****pit, and trunk to keep Mickey and Minnie out!

Spring will be here before we know it!

Ciao

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes...MMO, forgot about that. I use a lot of it for my SPICA. And the Stabil gasoline treatment gets put in, tank is filled , and engine run long enough to make sure the Stabil mix is all the way up to the engine. Full tank eliminates condensation from trapped air in tank. the less air, the less moisture.
Do the moth balls leave a residual smell?
All good points. Why do mice like to eat wires? They are wacked!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, I just came back from working on my car in a storage facility. I found water on the plugs......... Then I noticed the head was cracked :( :mad:

I guess this was last weekend we had -0° temps!

Was I supposed to add antifreeze? It is a race car, so I only had Water Wetter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Antifreeze

Yes, you should have antifreeze in the engine. Sorry to hear about the broken head or block. Why wouldn't you use antifreeze in a race car? Antifreeze also raises the boiling point of the coolant, which I would think would be a good idea for a car that was raced in Mexico where it can get quite warm?

·
Registered
93 Posts
AlfaRich said:
Do the moth balls leave a residual smell?
All good points. Why do mice like to eat wires? They are wacked!
The moth ball smell dissipates very quickly, especially if you get more airflow through the car (read "drive fast").

I'm no Dr. Doolittle, but from what I understand, mices' teeth keep growing, so chewing on something keeps them in check. Unfortunately, our wires just happen to do the trick!

3 weeks 'til Spring!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Winter

Winter is the worst! It's pretty mild here in North Carolina, though, Wednesday and Thursday will be in the low 70s. I just take my '87 Spider Quad out every weekend for 30-50 minutes and it's fine. I count my blessings to be living in the South and so does the Alfa - it came from Maryland and loves the mild climate, too!

·
Registered
87 Posts
An old trick that I have tried the past two years is dryer sheets.
I place dryer sheets in the engine compartment,interior and trunk.
Some reason mice don't like the smell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts