·
Premium Member
Spider 2.0 Veloce "Aerodinamica" 1986
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
Here's my winter dilemma.

I can park the car in
A) a shared, dry space where I can't work on it (and I still need to fix a few minor details such as door straps) and I can't keep the battery charged there.
B) or I put it in my garage which is semi-burried, not perfectly isolated, so on a rainy day like today, ambient humidity can rise up to 80%. I could buy a de-humidifer, though, not sure if that would work

The car is a 86 S3, in good shape (no visible rust on the chassis for instance). I still plan to drive it on dry, cold winter days, though, to keep it in shape.

What would you do? What is your experience with a not-so-dry garage?

(pictures = my garage)

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Looking at that one wall (with the plank of wood leaning against it) where the plaster looks about to crumble away and what looks like dampness all over the car "underneath" the cover, you'd be better off leaving the car outside!
Or just leave the garage open, that way you at least get a bit of air circulation (albeit no security)

That sort of damp is a killer for any car.

If you put a decent dehumidifier in the garage (even without the alfa) and let it run just one day, door closed and sealed as best you can, I bet you will extract 10-20 litres of water....they are a good method to show you exactly how damp your garage might be / well, is!

long term solution is to damp course those walls....is there earth outside, up against the wall? If so you need to dig it away and lay a damp course.
The inside can be injection treated if it is rising damp.

....or use the shared dry space.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, there's earth on the other side and I can't really change things since I'm renting the place.
On the other hand, air is circulating quite well (it is communicating with another garage - user is opening doors daily).
Humidity on the floor seems to be OK though. Cardboard placed there to absorb the gentle oil leaks seem to stay dry...

But you're probably right. Moving the Alfa to the dry place is probably better for Winter.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you convinced me. I've just installed a quick switch on the negative terminal. Something I was supposed to do a few weeks ago. Took me 15 minutes. I guess that will preserve the battery (it is fully charged).
I'll drive the car to the dry place in the next couple days.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have mix feeling about car covers in the damp air. It can trap the moisture and cause other issues. You would be better off with a couple of loose fitter sheets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually this one is a "breathing" cover. Hard to describe but perforated. But I would agree with you if it was just some sort of waterproof cover.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I would still advocate for just taking the battery out and home with you. It’s 4 ten millimeter nuts and maybe 73 seconds if you haven’t done it before. At home you can charge it a couple times over the winter and in the spring arrive with it fully charged.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dehumidifiers are expensive to run FT. This would pay for itself in a few seasons.

·
Registered
1973 Spider 2L
228 Posts
I would still advocate for just taking the battery out and home with you. It’s 4 ten millimeter nuts and maybe 73 seconds if you haven’t done it before. At home you can charge it a couple times over the winter and in the spring arrive with it fully charged.
I second this idea. A good security measure as well as preserving the battery. Take it home and leave it on a charger. When leaving the battery outside you risk it freezing and cracking in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Send it to us down here in Florida and it will get taken care of. 😃

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All and thanks for the feedback.
The Alfa is now safely parked. Humidity rate is OK in this shared space, and temp is at 13° C (approx 55° F).
Negative terminal of the battery is unplugged and not sure about bringing it back home since I don't want the car to "hibernate". I still plan to drive her on a few occasions this Winter. Taking the battery in and out would probably make "impulse drives" less frequent, which would after all not be good for the car, right?

I will just avoid the days following snowfall, when the roads might be "salty".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts