Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, thinking about my winter routine for the Boston area. The car is in an unheated storage facility, I’m a new owner & got it in January 2019. Last year, I would try to take the car out at least once a week to give him a run. Of course any hint of salt or de-icers I would hold off for obvious reasons, till a good rainstorm.
I usually undercoat my other cars with Fluid Film , applied with the rattle can.
For my Super Nuova , the undercarriage is so pristine, solid and clean, that I’m having second thoughts of it’s application . The fluid film really is a great product but tends to“messy things up”, and I’d love to preserve the cleanliness of the undercarriage.The car is a recent Italian import .
Also I’ve 20/50 oil, should I go lighter in weight with the cold weather coming ?
I open the discussion to the floor. I really appreciate the input from the forum .

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
I like to use a battery shut off switch to isolate the battery if you are cranking it every two or three weeks. The film you are considering probably won't get into crevasses and cracks you would hope it would so I wouldn't bother if you aren't in the salt... Your routine seems to be the way to go.. If it looks like we get snowed in .. then put a trickle charger on it and cycle the clutch and brake pedal occasionally even if you aren't going to drive it.... I'd also inflate the tires to like 32 psi to lessen fla spots.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,822 Posts
My Berlina sits outside sometimes in the winter in Portland. I have never coated the undercarriage and even sitting outside in damp weather it still looks great.

Where I do have issues is on the door jambs where moisture gets trapped between the seals. Part of the issue was that water was getting past the interior vapor barrier then running down the door and sitting on the door sill, trapped by the rubber door seals.

I was planning on spraying some Fluid Film, or LPS3 into the bottoms of the doors to protect them. But when I peeked into the one door it looked fine. The drains are working properly and I don't have any rust issues there.

You might want to pull the door panels and check that vapor barrier and glue the bottom of it back on.

But if it's stored indoors away from salt it should be fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know I couldn’t resist spraying a couple cans of Fluid Film into the seams & crevices underneath the car & in the engine & trunk areas. I’ve used it on my other cars with such success, it’s so clean and easy to do, cleans up nice, I put it on the pull cables and latches it’s such a pleasant product,how could I not 🤡

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve already had some of the door panels off to lubricate the window cranks, they were in great shape. It’s actually quite amusing how thin body structures are compared to today’s autos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts