Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I live in New England, the next 4 months or so will not be very top down friendly. My Spider is parked in my garage awaiting the return of the sun.
What should/shouldn't I do to ensure that she comes out of her long sleep in good shape??

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an 87 Spider beginning its hibernation period.
Are you going to drive it at all? or just going to let it sit. The prep is different for both. What have you done in the past?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my first Winter with the Spider, so i haven't done anything in the past. My plan is to at least start it weekly and drive it a little if there's no snow on the ground.

I'm open to suggestions.

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, first let me say that if you ask ten people how to store your car for the winter months you will get 10 different answers!
I will tell you what I have done and what I have learned, you go from there.
Based on what you said in your last post, you are not really going to store the car, your just going to drive it much less.
When this is the case for me:

I change the oil right before putting her in the garage, I read somewhere that right after changing oil you should drive the car for at least 20 minutes to warm it up and give a chance for corrosive acids to be burned off before storage. I am not sure if that's true or not but I do run it after oil change.

I fill the gas tank. Some people don't think you should because the gas degrades. I think if you are going to drive it occasionally you don't need to worry about degrading gas. I do not use a gas stabilizer. Save that for long term storage.

I change my coolant. Probably not necessary every year...but it makes me feel better.

I wash the car thoroughly, inside and out.

I do disconnect my battery and use a trickle charger on it every few weeks to keep it charged.

I put a car cover on it! And keep the soft top UP! Do not store it folded away.

That's about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts