Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roughly what do GTV6 windhsields commonly go for, and are they hard to find? Also, is it possible to pop one out of a donor without breaking it?

thanks for any thoughts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I think there may be three styles: I believe the earliest had a different system to hold the glass to the body (req a chrome metal ring). Most of the other windshields had just a singular rubber gasket there. So, in the second version, you'd have to decide between plain glass vs. wire radio antenna on the glass.

These came in a greenish tint, amber tint, and perhaps a clear (non-tinted) version too.

On the rubber gasket style, I'm told a glass expert can remove a used one with a piece of twine or special tool. The easiest way to ensure the used one comes out in one piece, is to simply trim off the outside half of the gasket with a Stanley knife. And have a friend sit inside to support the glass from falling inward. This, of course, destroys the gasket... which costs around $275 for a new one. Ouch!

If your current glass is broken, you should be able to smash the rest of that glass to salvage your current gasket, tho. New windshields may run $500-650? new, depending on specifics and availability.

There is a place in Eastern Mass that can supply new glass. But as stated above, you'd have to specify tint, gasket design, and w/ or w/o antenna.

I may have 1 or 2 used ones, also depending on your requirements... AND location. I'm in Vermont.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Paid $200 for a used one recently. I thought this was an excellent deal, even if it needs a little polish.

Cut the gasket as described.

Just kicked my old one out as it was already broken, but the gasket was good. Good way to eliminate frustration.

The dash has to come out to install the new windshield correctly - in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
$200+ is about what I would usually sell a used one for too. Less, if it has some wiper blush. Or a bit more if it close to perfect. Good find!

If ggTrieste is anywhere near Vermont, I may be able to help with a used one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts