Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like last night my windshield developed a crack right across the passenger side portion. It does not seem like Safelite has any glass available and Dean from Trail Auto does not have any glass at all. my Local Auto Glass shop does not carry any as well as his 4 other suppliers. I checked Alfissimo and they have a Heated one for $799 but local pickup only anyway. So i am at a stand still and i cant drive with a cracked
windshield.

So i am asking if its possible to find New/Used glass anywhere?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When my windscreen got bricked by some local charmers, I still had to drive it to an auto glass centre because the new one had to be bonded in, in a way that their mobile units couldn't do. I don't know the rules in the US but, as long as driver vision is clear, in the UK we would be allowed to drive to a centre to get a new one fitted.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We could technically drive the vehicle to a glass repair shop to have it replaced, they just don’t like you driving with a cracked window. One of my other cars had a crack in the windshield and I got pulled over, telling the officer I was driving to get it repaired he let me go without a ticket.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Cracked windshields are not a safety hazard. Up here in gravel road country and with "sand" routinely spread on our highways for half the year it would be insane to ticket for cracked windshields. On average we used to expect to replace a windshield every three years until those clever clear epoxy resin repair systems became ubiquitous. Now windshields can easily last 10 years if you get the epoxy fix asap after the rock strike. If you can get it done before the windshield gets wet the repair is invisible. Even if you cannot get the invisible repair do it anyway because the resin resists the cracking forces and effectively glues the incipient cracks formed by the rock strike.

Occasionally, even if the crack starts it is possible to glue the entire crack with specially thin epoxy. Worth a try.

For safety it is only necessary that the drivers field of vision not be seriously distorted by the crack although, technically, even that is not science based. Driving does not in fact require optically accurate or correct vision. The decision making process is not related to precise visual identification of potential hazards. This is not even feasible for the average driver hence the number of people who swerve to avoid cats, dogs, ducklings on the road. You do not need to nor should you swerve to avoid objects that will not damage your car unless they are also humans. You don't need to see precisely what those may be, a general concept is sufficient. Much the same applies to dangerous obstacles or developing situations. The brain has no time for accurate visual processing in an emergency. You form reasonably accurate impressions and react accordingly.

·
Premium Member
27,090 Posts
Harley Sent you a conversation (PM).

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
Wish I could freight it but I am not taking any chances, they never arrive well.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
??

They break. Not taking a chance. Last one I have I think is sold any way to some one local on CA.
I understand the hesitation to ship glass. There is a glass shop that can get me a new windshield shipped from CA for $325 but is after market and is special order. I would assume it would not come with the 3 piece trim.

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
I understand the hesitation to ship glass. There is a glass shop that can get me a new windshield shipped from CA for $325 but is after market and is special order. I would assume it would not come with the 3 piece trim.
Probably not. The last 3 pcs I have go with the glass I have. The shop can try to re-use the old if they are careful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So it looks like last night my windshield developed a crack right across the passenger side portion. It does not seem like Safelite has any glass available and Dean from Trail Auto does not have any glass at all. my Local Auto Glass shop does not carry any as well as his 4 other suppliers. I checked Alfissimo and they have a Heated one for $799 but local pickup only anyway. So i am at a stand still and i cant drive with a cracked View attachment 1631807 windshield.

So i am asking if its possible to find New/Used glass anywhere?
Try Glass.net for a new one. Just got mint replaced last week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts