Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed my old windshield to replace the seal on 73 Super due to water leaking in. Upon removal, found rust in the channel. Found a shop that could fix the rust and away she went. The windshield (old one broke) and seal are new. Windshield is a Fuyau, or however it’s spelled. Seal is from OKP.

Drove in the rain for the first time today since all the work had been done. There is water leaking onto my driver and passenger floor boards from the bottom corners of the windshield seal.

I’ve read on this forum somewhere that the original workshop calls for silicone behind the seal. Is this correct? And I’ve heard Wurth has a good product for it. I emailed the shop about the water leaking. Said that the seals are poorly reproduced and ill fitting. He also mentioned that if I don’t get 100% silicone seal it could lead to future corrosion.

Is there any specific supplier for quality made windshield seals? Or should I silicone it and hope for the best?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Hey Finn, I am not a fan of Silicone for such applications and wonder by what authority or reseach your shop guy has that leads him to say what he did. And why didn't he know to recommend a sealant to you when he was doing the job. Yes the factory manual recommends a sealant but they show between rubber and chassis. Your leak, if the only ones, seems to be from glass to rubber.

Seach here on this BB for DAP off sealant and read the threads. Yes Wurth has a DAP off sealant but I have not used it.

BTW why did the old windsheild break??

Ken

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@kengta
Hey Ken, thanks for the reply. I broke the old windshield removing it myself, got a little overzealous right at the end.

He actually recommended against the silicone, unless something like this happened.

“But as I said to you if the sealant is not 100 % there will be water left in some sections and this will cause long term corrosion on to the frame of the windscreen.”

I think I might agree with you that it’s coming between the seal and glass. The seal to body is pretty tight now that I think of it. If that is the case I guess just silicone between the glass and seal? The old seal and windshield had dried out strip caulk between each other as well.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Ease the rubber back along the rubber to A-pillar and look there for gaps. There is one page missing for what i posted on the old BB thread that shows where to caulk. In the picture they are showing between rubber and body. Omit this at your peril. If I locate my chassis manual I edit in the other page.

I would get the wurth product and chalk rubber to chassis and then see if still leaking.

Ken

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ease the rubber back along the rubber to A-pillar and look there for gaps. There is one page missing for what i posted on the old BB thread that shows where to caulk. In the picture they are showing between rubber and body. Omit this at your peril. If I locate my chassis manual I edit in the other page.

I would get the wurth product and chalk rubber to chassis and then see if still leaking.

Ken

Ken

Ken
Removed my old windshield to replace the seal on 73 Super due to water leaking in. Upon removal, found rust in the channel. Found a shop that could fix the rust and away she went. The windshield (old one broke) and seal are new. Windshield is a Fuyau, or however it’s spelled. Seal is from OKP.

Drove in the rain for the first time today since all the work had been done. There is water leaking onto my driver and passenger floor boards from the bottom corners of the windshield seal.

I’ve read on this forum somewhere that the original workshop calls for silicone behind the seal. Is this correct? And I’ve heard Wurth has a good product for it. I emailed the shop about the water leaking. Said that the seals are poorly reproduced and ill fitting. He also mentioned that if I don’t get 100% silicone seal it could lead to future corrosion.

Is there any specific supplier for quality made windshield seals? Or should I silicone it and hope for the best?

I ve installed both front and rear glass using this rubber. Very supple.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Finn93
This is not any easy solution. But I have a '72 Super. I replaced the windshield because it was badly pitted and had several leaks. When the old windshield was removed I was please to see no rust. I used the molding from Classic Alfa and got a perfect fit. For the cost of the molding you might consider starting over. Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@kengta
Is this what you are talking about? Found it after some digging.

@ganunez
Made in Italy rubber for Italian car sounds the ticket actually. Thank you for the link, I’ve added it to my favorites in case sealant doesn’t work.

@Pinoli
Thanks for the suggestion. If the sealant doesn’t work, Ill replace the seal with a better one…. Hopefully better

Attachments

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
@kengta
Is this what you are talking about? Found it after some digging.

@ganunez
Made in Italy rubber for Italian car sounds the ticket actually. Thank you for the link, I’ve added it to my favorites in case sealant doesn’t work.

@Pinoli
Thanks for the suggestion. If the sealant doesn’t work, Ill replace the seal with a better one…. Hopefully better
Yes that is from the manual but also nead page 32 which I should try and find.

@gta776126. Good suggestion.

Ken

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so I peeled back the top corners of the drivers and passengers seal. Is this why the manual calls for sealant here? Or is this an effect of a poorly made seal?

Seems like there would need to be an awful lot of sealant to fill in the gaps in the corners. The inner part of the seal fits against the body fine, until a few inches until the top corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I ordered a seal from Cicognani, twice as expensive as the one from OKP. Installed it last night (no sealant yet), and went for a drive in the rain (light) today. NO LEAKS!

Just installing the seal around the windshield I could tell it was going to fit/sit much better than the OKP one. I know where I’ll be ordering any future rubber/gaskets from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts