Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Has anyone tried to replace their wiper arms with ones from another car?

I'm a little disappointed with mine because the PO broke the plastic cover off the arm. So I was wondering if other cars would have the same taper and splines as our beloved GTV6/Alfettas.

Anyone ever try something like this?

I suppose if I don't get an answer, I'll take one of my arms to the junkyard and see what I can dig up.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I am interested in this too. It would be good to be able to use modern hook type replacement blades. The pin system on the originals has too much play, especially when it wears and the blades drag, judder and lack pressure against the screen. My daughter's 1981 GTV suffers from this problem and I have been unable to tighten the wiper arms and blades up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm.. I'm wondering how you got so much play in there. Mine appear to have a pin, but that pin is used to hold a plastic piece that holds the wiper blade assembly. And that plastic piece looks like it came with the wiper assembly.

Unless your arms are actually worn to a taper. Which sounds unlikely.

I should get a pic. I'll shoot for getting a pic up tonight.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
The holes are worn in the arms.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I use milano arms. check APE
How do you manage that? They seemed the wrong length and angle when I tried the ones off my 75 wreck.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi Guys

i had the same problem.
i replaced them with Holden Commodore wiper arms and blade holders.
No more sloppy arms.

Oz 3litre,I think they were from a VS Commodore.
Go to your local wrecker and try it.

Robert

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Hi Guys

i had the same problem.
i replaced them with Holden Commodore wiper arms and blade holders.
No more sloppy arms.

Oz 3litre,I think they were from a VS Commodore.
Go to your local wrecker and try it.

Robert
I will try the 75 ones again and if they still don't look right I will check out the Commodore ones. Thanks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Not American, but I also seem to remember the Volvo 740 or 240 arms being similar and also having the modern "J" hook connector at the end of the arm.
I have a 240 and a 740 parked on either side of my GTV6. The stock (Carello) arms that were on my car are 17" long. The Milano wiper arms that are on it now are 15" long. The Volvo 240 arms are 15.5" while the 740's are 18" long.

The 240 wiper arms might be a good way to go. They are easy to find with the plastic caps intact.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I have a 240 and a 740 parked on either side of my GTV6. The stock (Carello) arms that were on my car are 17" long. The Milano wiper arms that are on it now are 15" long. The Volvo 240 arms are 15.5" while the 740's are 18" long.

The 240 wiper arms might be a good way to go. They are easy to find with the plastic caps intact.
That's why I haven't used the Milano/75 arms on my daughter's GTV so far. How well do they cover the screen if they are 2" short?

·
Registered
40 Posts
you can run longer blades with the pin-type blades. My '76 American spec Alfetta GT is running 19" blades on the driver side and 17" on the passenger. I f I remember correctly, the "book' says 16" on both sides. I think Bosch blades that I bought for another family car came with a new pin. I have to check, yet, if it is the correct diameter.

But, it nice to know if more modern pieces are available. thanks for the info on updates.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts