Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Gents,
Interesting thread! I have a 72 GTV. The foot pedal worked fine before I unhooked it and did my interior over. Now, when I plug the harness into the pedal the wipers run continuously. Any idea why?
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
John - I'm playing with my wiper wiring right now and noticed that its possible to plug the harness into the foot pump backwards. At least it is on my car - I can't recall if I replaced the molex connector or if its factory. Anyway give that a look.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would suspect that wiring has been reconnected incorrectly. As I recall there are 4 pins on the pump linked to 2 pairs of contacts. With the switch released, one pair of contacts is closed (park circuit), and the other open (high speed running).

When you press the washer, the contacts for the park circuit open and the contacts for high speed running close - meaning the wipers operate continuously at high speed.

If your wires are held in a proper plug, then perhaps the plug has been reconnected incorrectly (plug rotated by 180 degrees)

If your wires are connected via loose spade connectors (like mine) then perhaps they have been reconnected incorrectly

The contacts 31 & 31b are for the park circuit. The contacts 54 & 54a are for the high speed circuit

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Great explanation! I've always wondered how/why the wipers are so fast when the foot switch is depressed. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Wow, too funny! I just plugged mine in opposite and the problem has gone away!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
202 Posts
For those in the UK, I got this diode from Car Builder Solutions and used it in the circuit to trigger the washer motor when I press the foot pump. The washer motor that I used is the one incorporated in the bag (WI007) Silicon Diode

41 - 46 of 46 Posts