Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know this is a bit of an old thread but....

I managed to source the items for the amazing 'GIGSTAR 2000'. I hope that I identified the correct parts below:

3460K21
Compact Pressure Switch, 2 to 10 PSI Actuation Range, 1/8 NPT

50745K46
High-Pressure Brass Barbed Tube Fitting, Straight for 1/8" Tube ID X 1/4 Female Pipe Size

I enthusiastically submitted my order through McMaster-Carr excited by the promise of installing my own 'GIGSTAR 2000'. I wondered, "how many sleeps until I can install my new super dooper GIGSTAR 2000". Maybe if I was lucky I could have received this as a small gift to myself for Xmas. But alas it wasn't to be, today I received this e-mail form McMaster-Carr and it didn't even include the word 'sorry' or 'unfortunately' ... :(

"Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from our established customers. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We cannot accept this order or future orders."

Phooey from Australia :(
I am planning on doing the Gigem Gigstar 2000 foot pump conversion...:)
I ordered the above Part 3460K21
Compact Pressure Switch, 2 to 10 PSI Actuation Range, 1/8 NPT.
Nd.
And 2nd part..50745K46
High-Pressure Brass Barbed Tube Fitting, Straight for 1/8" Tube ID X 1/4 Female Pipe Size.. This female end was too large !
Then a Mcmaster sales rep suggested part...44555k125 which I received today , This is also too large !! Anyone have the correct part number that goes with the pressure switch 3460K21 ?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've slept since then but as I recall I got the fittings from Lowes in the plumbing aisle. One is a female fitting screwed onto the switch and the other with the barb for the tubing screwed onto that.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
That would certainly work.

Another approach is shown in the schematic below. Since the foot operated pump already has a switch built into it, this approach uses that switch to control the spray motor, as well as the WW motor's high-speed circuit. You need to add a diode so that the spray motor only comes on when the foot switch is depressed - without the diode, it would run whenever the WW motor is switched on high.

This approach is probably cheaper (the diode oughta cost < $1.00), and will still work on foot operated switches with cracked bellows.
WW Circuit001.jpg

Alfajay, does this diode solution that you have proposed above interfere with the park circuit at all, or other normal operation of the wipers?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Alfajay, does this diode solution that you have proposed above interfere with the park circuit at all, or other normal operation of the wipers?
The answer is "no", the diode does not alter the operation of the wipers. I've successfully used this circuit on both the three and four wire wiper motor in different GTVs.

I took Alfajay's sketch as a concept drawing in that the wiring of the GTVs that I have modified have been different from what Alfajay shows. Thanks again Alfajay for the circuit idea, it is an elegant and easy to implement solution.

I use the Alfa supplied footswitch in the circuit.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My only question was does it work on 4 wire, asked and answered,
Elgante' for sure, it gets my vote!

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I know little to nothing about diodes - what kind would one use or ask for? That is, what would the specifications be.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use any diode that is rated for at least 20 amps.

While a wiper motor only draws circa 2 amps under load it best to get one that handles at 10x this current. Here is one

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Ok, I got it! I sourced a 12V 6 Amp diode from my local auto electrician. Alfajay's circuit does indeed work well. The wipers work at low and high speed from the toggle switch (without activating the water pump) and the foot pump activates the electric water pump and wipers.

The circuit parks well although seems to lack a little power, as it moves too slowly and stops (or should that be sticks) just a little higher than the lowest arc of the wipers-good lubrication and more amps from a revving engine may be the key.

I made a point of tightening down the wiper motor linkages. This when combined with clean electric connectors, a little oil on the foot pump plunger, and a little Penrite moly grease (3% Molybdenum disulphide) on the linkages makes for a very smooth and quiet set of wipers.

Thanks to the contributors to this forum, and thanks especially to Alfajay and his nifty Jaystar3000.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How did you go gnuts, did you manage to get the right part number for the barb attachment?
I did thanks,correct part is ...... 50745K26 High-Pressure Brass Barbed Tube Fitting, Straight for 1/8" Tube ID X 1/8 Female Pipe Size.
FWIW .. Mcmaster will ship abroad If you have a business address,well that seems to be the case for Canada anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm going JayStar3000! It's a better solution and besides the fitting on my foot pump is broken.
The diode in Nunki's link has three contacts. How would that work? or where might I get one with the two contacts as pictured. My experience with diodes goes back to the kits I built as a kid and those were like a resistor with the polarity marking. In the schematic the N.O. and N.C. mean what, and what color wire is the diode wired into?

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Regarding the diode - I just went to my local auto electrician and they gave me an old one that they had lying around for free. I told them the wiper circuit is fused with 10 amps.

I spliced in the diode and it appeared to work for a while although the park circuit seemed to lack a little power and once activated the wipers would run low on power before getting to the bottom of their stroke. Other than this it worked for a while but now it doesn't park anymore and I cant work out why.

I don't know what the 'NO and NC contact' means either - perhaps that's where I went wrong. But I can advise that the solution did work initially without me making any additional modifications to the original setup beyond the addition of the diode.

I think the wire for the high-speed circuit into which the diode is spliced is colored either grey or blue/white but I would need to check my car - if my guess helps you expedite things then my guess is blue/white.

A tip - I spliced in the diode using a solder splicer as depicted here - very easy!

Solder Splice - Products - Narva

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Very cool, if nothing else it's worth it just to learn about the solder splice:)

I'll ask around and see if I can come up with a diode. The diode in the link looks like the power transistor in my 150 watt FM radio station transmitter, for tunes in the shop and boat:)

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Lots of diodes for solar panels, 50v 10amp

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ya gotta love the internet, NO is contact Normally Open NC is contact Normally Closed as in a relay or switch, as in foot switch. flat amazing!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Since my first post on this I have modified my wiper washer set up. Because the pump was under the steering column it had to suck water a long distance from the bag to the pump then to the windscreen jets and it lost a little water pressure because of that.

What I have since done was buy an alfa washer bag that has the pump built into it and use the original foot pump as a switch only so when the foot pump switch is pressed lots of water can be squirted on to the windscreen before I decide to turn on the wiper motor switch.

More water gets on the screen and eliminates the wipers sweeping over a dry screen waiting for water to get to them. My modified console has my wiper motor switch one of four switches as shown.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I can confirm the JayStar3000 works great! I jump across the diode and the pump comes on when the wiper switch is on and doesn't come on with the diode in the circuit. It only comes on when the foot switch is depressed. As far as I can tell the wiper speed is the same. It's the double grey wires at the foot switch that are spliced into. This is trick, I like, thanks Jay.
This is the diode I used. I have three more if anyone cares to send me a self addressed stamped envelope.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056RHMCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Yes I just bought and fitted a new foot pump and the whole circuit including JayStar3000 doide solution and washer motor works great. It turned out that my wipers wouldn't park because there was a loose connection at the wiper console switch. Once this was sorted it all worked as intended and it parked perfectly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My foot pump on my 1977 spider doesn't work well. It barely pumps anything and hasn't for years.
Anyway, I bought an electric Trico washer pump on Ebay as well as diodes as described.
I then hooked the system up as Alfajay described.
It works fine. A great inexpensive solution.
Thanks Alfajay

21 - 40 of 46 Posts