Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the electric pump hooked up to a floor switch next to the pump but that was a little awkward rolling your foot from the pump to the switch. Well I woke up at 3AM with an idea.
Bought a prressure switch from McMaster Carr and hooked that up to the output of the foot pump, blocked off the other fitting and now I get a great wash with just the one touch of the foot pump.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ooh, can I guess?

Pressure switch assembled in such a way so as it gets activated as the pedal is pressed instead of having to press the pedal and a button on the floor, thus eliminating the need for the floor mounted switch all together as everything is now singly under control of the pedal itself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What I did was to use the origional foot pump as a switch only and this then operated a generic auto store washer pump that I mounted near the steering column. Just connect the washer hoses to the new pump and use a live spare treminal on the fuse box for power, the other lead to earth.

This kept it looking as origional as possible as most of the time it is only the pump part that is broken and the washer switch gear is still OK.

Cheers
Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat:) and yes the foot pump now switches the the motor on in the washer tank.

Ang, how did you keep your consol wiper switch working? If I unplug the four prong connector to the footpump the wiper switch does not work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Now your testing my limited memory cells, as I did this a year ago, I am sure I just un-plugged the wires running to the switch and taped them up. The wipers still work by using the wiper switch as I believe the washer pump was wired in parallel to the main wiper circuit.....don't quote me on this!

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the one
3460K21

1 Each Pressure Switch, 2 To 10 Psi Actuation Range

McMaster-Carr

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just air pressure. You have to block off the other fitting for it to build up pressure to activate the switch.
I'd like to win the lottery so I could buy one of eveything MC carries:) or if I was going to highjack a truck it would be a SnapOn truck:D

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Cool! This is such an elegant solution.

Push the floor pedal and the washers come on as well as the wipers. For just wipers, you flip the switch and you get normal operation. Bonus: Can you press lightly on the foot pedal and get the wipers to work without the washers? That would be windshield washer nirvana!

If this works advertised I will nominate you for Alfa fix of the month! I'm sure there are major awards in your future!!!

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha! but thanks for the kind words, I did try the slight pressure and no nirvana but what you know what they say... "you can't always get what you want but if you try sometime you get what you need"

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You got me thinkin.... that switch is adjustable from 2 to 10 psi and if one set it higher it might not kick in with a slight tap but rather a mash. Sooooooo one might be able to get a swipe with no washer action. Think I'll go try that..... be right back:)

5 minutes later......

YES! set it to about 8 psi and a slight push will activate wiper motor but not the pump, a mash all the way down and wala, water and wipe!

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
You got me thinkin.... that switch is adjustable from 2 to 10 psi and if one set it higher it might not kick in with a slight tap but rather a mash. Sooooooo one might be able to get a swipe with no washer action. Think I'll go try that..... be right back:)

5 minutes later......

YES! set it to about 8 psi and a slight push will activate wiper motor but not the pump, a mash all the way down and wala, water and wipe!
But good Aggie buddy old pal, thats the way my factory pump/switch works :confused: Just a light touch and the wipers go, heavy toe and the washer sprays and wipers go...

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Presenting the GigStar2000 electric windshield washer for Alfa Romeo:

Electric Windshield Washer set up.jpg McMaster- Carr Pressure Switch 3460K21.jpg

Any washer bag or bottle with a 12VDC pump will do. The genius is the MC pressure switch sourced by gigem75. Plug one end of the foot pump and connect the other to the pressure switch via the 1/8" vinyl tubing. Provide 12VDC to one side (COM terminal) of the switch and then connect the output (NC terminal) to the input side of the electric pump. Ground the other side of the pump and you are in business. Note: You will also need a coupling to go from 1/4" NPT to 1/8" barbed tube.

Press on the foot pedal and both the windshield wipers and the washer activate. If you press lightly you can activate the wiper without the washer.

The difference between this and the factory: NO MORE PUMPING.

·
Registered
220 Posts
i feel really boring now! I just by passed the footpump cos its a pain anyway and hid a little toggle switch in the car, wired to electric pump tube straight to windscreen washer...

I thought that was cool but now I feel like its rubbish!

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgive Bill he's pumped out:)

known him for 35 years so I can say that:D

·
Premium Member
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything is bigger in Texas:) and I since I'm lazy I only have to fill it once a year:) Seriously I wanted a big one so I didn't have to fill it all the time. It came off a GMC truck :eek: The motor did go out but a generic pump did fit and now it pumps like a race horse.
btw, thanks for the kind words, not sure I deserve it but what the heck

·
Super Moderator
10,911 Posts
gigem said:
Presenting the GigStar2000 electric windshield washer for Alfa Romeo
That would certainly work.

Another approach is shown in the schematic below. Since the foot operated pump already has a switch built into it, this approach uses that switch to control the spray motor, as well as the WW motor's high-speed circuit. You need to add a diode so that the spray motor only comes on when the foot switch is depressed - without the diode, it would run whenever the WW motor is switched on high.

This approach is probably cheaper (the diode oughta cost < $1.00), and will still work on foot operated switches with cracked bellows.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts