Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone of you ever replace the windshield yourself?
If so, any tips?
Not worrying about rust repair as I have none. Just have a windshield and a new seal and looking for tips before I tackle this.
I have done on in a Mercedes which looks to be similar but thought I would ask in case there are some "gotchas"
I figured there would be a post by Vintre about windshield replacement for dummies but did not find one.
THanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's easy. Get some 1/4 diameter cord, about 12 feet should do. Now slip the windshield into to gasket, and on the body seal of the gaskey. Stuff the cord into the channel but overlap the ends by about a foot or so. Let the windshield set on the windshield frame,( you can do this yourself or a helper would be great) with the cord inside of the car( place where you sit) slowly pull the cord at a 90 degree angle to the body shell. You will see the rubber gasket slip over the bodyshell
A helper can be of help here, have the helper lightly press on the glass as you pull the cord, might try a few times, or you just might get it right the first time, it's pretty easy thing to do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just did mine last week. +1 on Bianchi2 comments above. I cut out the front of the old gasket. The windshield came right out. I cleaned the original hard sealer out and laid down a nice bead of modern windshield sealant before installing the new glass/gasket/rope. It went in nice and easy. Easier than I anticipated. Good luck!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. That is what i hoped to hear and that is how i did the one on the Benz. I roped it in

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The guy who did mine didn't use any sealant, and the chrome strip doesn't clamp as tight as it did before removal. If I put a hose on my windshield at the corners, water will flow under the gasket and shoot up into the interior. Hack...I paid extra to have an OEM amber windshield with the antenna, also.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear that. I definitely will use a sealant. The one I took out had some sort of sealant used on it. I got a perfect windshield for $40 from a car that had been laid up in a garage for 21 years.
Need to order the seal now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts