Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellas and Happy Holidays

I'm in need of some assistance on removing the Windshield on a 69 roundtail. All the chrome was removed by PO. I'd like to keep it in one piece. Is this a one or two person job? I need to strip the entire interior and pull motor and trans to begin restoration. Will post pics if I can figure that out as well. Any advice that you could share would be helpful. Thanks Pat

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Pat,

Stupid question maybe .....do you intend to reuse the windshield or are you going to be replacing it? If you intend to keep the windshield then the next question is do you intend to reuse the windshield gasket or will you be getting a new one? It is possible to get the windshield and gasket out togther but with an old, sometimes brittle windscreen it is pretty difficult and my experience is I end up cracking the windscreen trying to save the screen and the gasket. If you can get a new gasket, which by the way will make reinstall easier since it will be much more supple than the 30 plus year gasket you are taking out, then I have heard of people using a utility knife to cut away most of the rubber gasket from the front side of the windscreen and then lifting it out. You can use some of those suction cup thingys from Harbor Frieght to help pull from the front and maybe some extra hands pushing from the inside to pop the screen out without putting too much assymetrical pressure on it. Hope it works out for you which ever way you go.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I agree with Mike, buy a new gasket. Get it in your hands first before you cut your old one. The new one will look really nice on your car and you won't have to worry about
breaking your windshield.
When you have your new gasket make sure you put your cowl clips in the same box to remind you to install them along with your windshield. May need some new clips too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The easiest way to remove the winshield is to cut into the exterior lip of the WS gasket and tear it off. That leaves the windshield sitting in the gasket making it easy to simply push out the glass. Then you can remove the rest of the gasket & clean the metal channel.
To reinstall, go to a professional window place and provide them with the new gasket. They install and caulk/seal with the correct industrial stuff for about $50 coming to your house! You then install the chrome etc., after a day or so. Don't forget to install the cowl clips under the gasket, before the windshield goes in!

That's what I did....
TTFN Elio Buon Natale!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys - Thank you for the info. I'll plan to use a drywall knife to cut away the weather stripping lip overlapping the windshield glass. I'm not sure what you mean by cowl clips and gasket replacement in that area. Could someone expand on this subject. The idea for know is to completely strip car. I"ll post the pics from this project, hoping to complete it on saturday. Thanks Pat

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Cowl Clips

Pat,

The cowl clips fit underneath the windshield rubber gasket along the bottom facing toward the front. The "clips" hold the wiper cowl piece along the back edge and also help to hold the bottom stainless trim piece that covers the base of the windshield. If the prior owner took all of the stainless trim off you should see them at the base of the windshield. Many times they are pretty rusty. I had 10 of them in a plastic bag so that is probably how many you should have.

Pics:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts