Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year when I got my GTV I decided not to paint it but simply throw it together with some primer on the nastier bits and drive it around for a summer to sort it out. It has turned out to be a far better car than I originally thought and so now I want to paint it. I had to put in a new windshield and gasket last winter but now I have to pull it back out. Usually when I've done this in the past I just cut the old gasket off and buy a new one when I reinstall the glass, but it seems a shame to cut up a $90 gasket that's only 10 months old. Does anybody know a clever way to get the glass and gasket both out intact? thanks, Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Purist will probably scream in horror, but it worked when we did both the front & rear windows on my GTV. First we carefully took out the chrome window trim. Try to store it as flat as possible as its as rare as rocking horse droppings. Also try to carefully get rid of any sealant used. Then get a person on the inside of the care with soft soled shoes, lying on their back, with both feet about 2 to 3 foot apart, to evenly and forcefully push the glass windscreen outwards, while somebody on the outside (preferably two sombodies) goes either side of the car pushing evenly with their hands to stabilize and catch the screen when it pops out. Get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Dave's method has been known to work BUT:

1: odds are you'll bend the aluminum? gasket trim and it will never look right again.

2: you stand a real good chance of cracking the $350 (+shipping) windshield

If you elect to give it a try, be sure that the people on the outside are gently pushing/stabilizing exactly where the person on the inside has their feet. Anywhere else and the windshield becomes a lever with the foot as a fulcrum and .... you get the idea. AMHIK You may just want to consider that $90 gasket to be the premium you pay for getting to drive and sort out the car for the past year.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Do not remove the aluminum trim! as bill said everytime it is removed and reinstalled the chances of bending/deforming increase; it does not have to be removed from the gasket to remove the gasket/windsheild in one piece. I prefer the "hundred screwdriver" method to remove the unit complete. First you need a "hook" tool, I make one with a #2 philips screwdriver, with a grinder round the tip of the screwdriver and clean it up with a wire wheel, bend the screwdriver with about a 30 degree angle on the end (use a vise) Now use this tool and slowly work between the body and the gasket to remove any sealant and to make sure the gasket is not fused to the body, you want to do this on the outside then the inside. Now gather 15 - 20 scrwdrivers. One at time insert and leave in place the screwdriver between the body and the edge of the gasket along the top edge from the inside of the car through to the outside starting at one end of the windsheild (horizontal) every four to five inches along this top edge repeat and insert another screwdriver till you get to the other top end/edge of the winshield. At this point the winsheild and gasket will be seperating from the body along the top edge and sides, use the hook tool along the inside sides to help and with a small push (two persons, doors open, one on each side) the windsheild will pop out, flat hand, even pressure, reinstall using the rope method

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here is how I removed my rear glass. I suppose should work for front as well. Removed the trim (very carefully). Cleaned the gasket. Sprayed silicone (WD-40 or soapy water should also work) all around where glass goes into gasket. Then I used a 4" plastic, body filler mixing scraper and put it between the glass and gasket and slid it around the entire gasket spraying more silicone in the gap. Then, the window was loose inside the gasket. Slid the scraper between the window and gasket and the window almost fell out! Might be a good idea to have a spotter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts