Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently picked up my Duetto from the shop after a long restoration project. The front windshield seems to be leaning forward a bit, such that there is a gap at the top of both driver and passenger doors between windshield frame and door frames by the vent windows. Not knowing what it entails to install windshield frame, is there any level of adjustment? The gap is the same at both doors, leading me to believe something was not exactly right when the car was put together.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge passed my way!

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
THE windshield frame is welded in place> it would take bending it to move it. IF anything they are bent back and not forward, but it doesn't make since that they would be evenly bent forward. The doors and the vent frames are adjustable which would include adjusting the window channels.. This can be done by removing the door panels and looking at how the vent frames are mounted and the window channels on the rear side of the windows. If the actual door is alligned well then the vent window needs adjusting.. If the doors are out of line they can be adjusted at the henges.. If the henge pins are worn then the door could be sagging. I believe that the door henges are the same throughout all the spiders. The Vent windows are not, nor the door glass, windshield etc.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
As the earlier spiders had a more upright screen, I believe the stainless vend window frames were different shape, to match. No chance that restorer got your vent window frames mixed up with a later spider type ? Bit of a stretch, I realize...but stranger things have happened in restoration shops !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for the replies, I will ask that they address this with more knowledge than before.

Chris, there's a very slim chance although I can't rule it out. One of the doors was replaced, also from a 1967 Duetto, the other original. Both are out by the same measurement, which leads me to believe it was an oversight (unfortunately, there have been many).

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
One of the doors was replaced, also from a 1967 Duetto, the other original. Both are out by the same measurement,....
This is really puzzling, which is why a photo may be necessary for further diagnosis. The fact that both doors (and I assume vent window frames) come from a Duetto sort of rules out the possibility of squaretail vent window frames getting into the mix.

As Stan Murray pointed out, there is some adjustment in the fit of the vent windows - however, their rear edges have to be parallel to the rear tracks for the roll-up windows, so they can't be too far off and still have the side windows fit OK. Are your roll-up windows installed yet, and if so, do they work OK? Is the convertible top frame on yet, and if so, how does the rear edge of the side window glass fit the conv. top frame?

The windshield frame itself is welded in, and is pretty solid. Even the most ham-fisted glass installer would have a hard time bending it. And even if they did bend it, it would be impossible for the glass to fit properly in a distorted frame. So, I'm betting that your problem is in the doors & vent window frames, and not in the windshield.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics this time

Thanks much for your help Jay, I really appreciate it.

Below are pics. In looking at the full window with top, unless there is some flexibility in manipulation of window channels and vent frame I may have an issue - it looks as though it needs to move forward and down from looking at both left and right top corners.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other issue worth pointing out, neither door was mounted correctly or securely, but the required adjustments to fix this will not have a significant impact on closing this gap.

The car goes back into the shop this Friday. Honestly, as my list grows, so does my temper in lack of professionalism from this specialty shop. Hopefully all will be resolved with little or no additional cost to me.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
OK, now I get it. A picture truly is worth a thousand words!

Forget what we suggested about squaretail parts possibly getting mixed in - clearly your uneven gap is better than what would have resulted from that cause.

The problem appears to be the alignment between the vent window frame / front window channel and the door. There is some adjustment in how this attaches - as you note, it needs to have its top rotated forward and moved down. At the same time, the rear channel for the side window will also need to be rotated - from the first photo you posted it is apparent that the gap between the back edge of the side window, and the front/vertical edge of the conv. top is also off.

I am certainly not going to make excuses for the shop that did this work. But I will point out that getting this stuff right takes a LOT of hours. Sometimes shops assume that their customers will prefer paying a lower bill over having everything 100%. Or, they just don't have employees with the patience/skill to get all of the gaps correct. In my mind, problems like this fall into the "if you want it done right, do it yourself" category.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
some more pictures of the door fit would be good too.. as you look at the rear of your door fit it looks really tight and the window scrapper chrome is hitting the B pillow chrome. I don't see the velcro that is needed on the lower top bow that keeps the top snug at the window glass. The door should open and close without having to lower the door glass, so it looks like you can do some adjusting on the door moving it forward which would help your vent window fit at the front or the door glass to
give you better fit in the front and better fit of the window to the top. Tweeking takes time but it can be done and eventually things work out to fit better. Raising the floating bow takes out slack in the top, and the side top adjustment can raise the top to make the side glass clear the top when opening the door as well. But I would like to see how the doors are fitting first to see what the next adjustment is needed. So more pictures would help of the front of the door to fender. I bet thats a place you can start maybe?

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Raising the floating bow takes out slack in the top, and the side top adjustment can raise the top to make the side glass clear the top when opening the door as well.
Yes, now that Stan mentions it, the first conv. top bow (the "floating bow") does look low. There needs to be a rubber bumper on each side between the bow and the horizontal aluminum piece of the frame - I'll bet those are missing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
from replacing the window motor on my newer spider, I recall the pillar supporting the wing window is down in the door, I think it has a little wiggle room in there to adjust it, if the other stuff doesnt work, may want to take a look in there and make sure its aligned right or check if you can angle it a little. Not sure if its the same as in mine though, but Alfa changed suprisingly little over 20 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts