Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfisti,
Finally I got new aluminum trim and ready to install my new windshield from prosource.
So far got gasket on a windshild, was pretty easy starting at the bottom and doing the top flat part last. Then I massaged it around the windshield to have an equal tension everywhere. I should have used some rubbing alcohol as a lube to make the channel slide around glass easier.
Now its time to install the trim. Mostly the shape of the trim fitted ok in gasket but corners need some massaging. I carefully bent the trim around the corners, matching the shape to the channels as I was pressing it in (lift ot out, bend press back in few times). Then I went around with a rubber mallet and kept tapping while supporting glass and gasket with my hand as a backing. Acohol in the channel as a lube helps. I'm pretty close to be perfect and wanted to ask whether I should continue to try to make it sit perfectly flash or should I install the assembly on the car first and finalize it on the car? Will the gasket change shape after the install and mess up trim to gasket interface and will need more massaging or is it better to have it fit perfect before I install windshield on the car? Here are some pics...
Your opinions much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, pretty happy with the result so far. Looks better than fit on the cars original trim. Pics of 2 corners that need more massaging

Attachments

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
An update and some more questions of course. An important note!: if you can find an experienced installer, PAY MEN THE ASKING PRICE and then tip some, it's a major ***** of a job!
Any suggestions on how to put this stubborn corner in. Trim has to sit with its top flat surface parallel to the glass before glass goes on a car... what to do, I keep tapping but not going too far. Any tips on final massaging part would be much appreciated. Now one at a time please... 😉

Attachments

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Plan B (new and hopefully improved version)
And the lessons learned:
  • T profile of the trim has to be aligned with the glass: the top surface of the trim has to be parallel with the windshield surface area it surrounds.
  • There is a very little massaging that can be done once the windshield/trim/gasket is installed on the car
  • Evenly distribute gasket around the windshield, and do not disturb it when the trim is installed. Shape the trim to follow windshield shape, making sure gasket does the same and all 3 sit well together, without tight or loose/excess gasket anywhere under the trim
The windshield's out...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Following this thread with interest. About to reinstall the glass in my GTV restoration... BTW I love the color of your car!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Are you using new trim and gasket or is it the original that cam with the car?
Thanks, color is AR 342 Blu Francia
I have new trim and gasket for mine. Also using a brand new windshield which I hope fits well! The original windshield was damaged prior to my purchase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts