Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While removing the windshield of my Flamina for body and paint work, it cracked, so I need a new one.

Anyone have an idea of who could have one. This is a Touring GTL

Thanks

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Henry,

Sorry to hear that. Honestly, this isn't the most likely place to post this. I'd post it on Viva-Lancia and Lancisti; you'd have a much better chance of locating one. Otherwise, unless you somehow run across a GTL parts car, you'll probably have to find one in Italy. But who have you tried so far?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yup, I agree. They make good stuff, and the Finnish are masters with glass (not that I am biased or anything...):D. They made the replacement glass for my 102 which I got through Re-O years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi.
I know that Omicron have dismanteled quite a few cars through the years and taken care of the parts, so it might be worth a try.
Good luck.

(I had the fortune that my Berlina came with a spare screen!)

Hans-Jørgen

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I did write to Omnicron but haven't heard back; I will try Sicurvetro

·
Registered
482 Posts
New windshields are delightful. To preserve the fresh one on my Alfa SS I never installed the wipers, just covered the shafts with chrome cap nuts. Arno judged the car twice last year, and I don't think any deductions were made for keeping the wipers in the trunk.

RainX actually works noticeably better than the wipers on most old cars. I've been using it since it first appeared in the '70s.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New windshields are delightful. To preserve the fresh one on my Alfa SS I never installed the wipers, just covered the shafts with chrome cap nuts. Arno judged the car twice last year, and I don't think any deductions were made for keeping the wipers in the trunk.

RainX actually works noticeably better than the wipers on most old cars. I've been using it since it first appeared in the '70s.
Interesting.....a little further than I am willing to go to preserve a car, since I am a firm believer of using the cars and driving them how they were supposed to, but nevertheless interesting.

The Rain X comment is a very good one though, most old wipers are crap

I will try it

·
Registered
426 Posts
rain-x

Rain-x works great, until it washes off! Ask me how I know:).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
... it never rains in Southern California ... What is Rain-X? What are windshield wipers?

Sorry to hear, Henry. But on a GTL, I assume between Omicron, Sicurvetro, and the Lacnia boards you will either be able to find a used one or the crazy Finns can make you a new one.

Mike

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear, Henry. But on a GTL, I assume between Omicron, Sicurvetro, and the Lacnia boards you will either be able to find a used one or the crazy Finns can make you a new one.

Mike
Omicron has one, but it will cost me close to $2,000 by the time I have it, plus any import taxes.

There is however another option, there is manufacturer, of OEM windshields in Guadalajara, Mexico, that supplies the major brands that build cars in Mexico, and they have a custom made service, you send them your old windshield, they make a mold and after 10 days you have an exact replica with all the current safety standards. I got a quote for around $300 US, plus shipping back and forth.

I've had one of their windshields in my 2600 Spider for 5 years or so with excellent results, so I will try them first.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Mexican glass sounds like a good idea. Anti Wihanto, at Sicurvetro, does a wonderful job, is as much an enthusiast as we are, and is a pleasure to deal with. He is aware of the issues of "correct" markings, etc., and does his absolute best to make things as close to NOS as the law allows.

That said, it's not inexpensive. I was able to take advantage of a "group" buy for Spider 'screens a few years ago, and luckily haven't had a need for it. The savings in shipping was the deciding factor. It sits on the shelf (mattress), acting as a totem to ward off bad juju. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, but dog forbid if I had needed it right before Pebble and didn't have it.

As it is, I've never mounted the wipers unless I'm parked on the grass. Even when new, they had a propensity to detach and launch themselves on the second pass. So they stay in the trunk with the side-screens and the rain-x. Looks better too.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Omicron has one, but it will cost me close to $2,000 by the time I have it, plus any import taxes.

There is however another option, there is manufacturer, of OEM windshields in Guadalajara, Mexico, that supplies the major brands that build cars in Mexico, and they have a custom made service, you send them your old windshield, they make a mold and after 10 days you have an exact replica with all the current safety standards. I got a quote for around $300 US, plus shipping back and forth.

I've had one of their windshields in my 2600 Spider for 5 years or so with excellent results, so I will try them first.
Wait a minute. You mean to say you had a $300 (+ shipping R/T Mexico) option, and you thought you might do better than that by asking us?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait a minute. You mean to say you had a $300 (+ shipping R/T Mexico) option, and you thought you might do better than that by asking us?
No, I didn't have the Mexico option when I asked you, the Mexico option surfaced a few hours after that. I even asked Omicron before I had the Mexico option. :)

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
No, I didn't have the Mexico option when I asked you, the Mexico option surfaced a few hours after that. I even asked Omicron before I had the Mexico option. :)
Relax--just kidding. But I'm sure a number of us would be interested to get the contact info for the Mexican fabricators.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The manufacturing base in Mexico is analogous to Italy in the 50's and 60's: high quality and low overall cost. This is a good idea. Can you tell us how to contact the company?

Another good choice for a Flaminia windshield is Reorginals here in Texas. I had lunch with Matt Jones last year and he mentioned that he tries to keep a reliable supply of windshields for Italian cars.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The company is: Parabrisas de Occidente. I don't have an email address, only a phone number.

The person I contact there is Estela Roque, and I have NO IDEA how good her English is (it might be non-existent), so I could help with translation if needed.

Phone numbers are:
011 52 333 635 5784
011 52 333 639 2577

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
It seems to be this company in Guadalajara (but factory phone number is slightly different).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts