Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can buy a new or near perfect windshield for my Berlina? I had a glue-in style which broke when I tried to remove it. Now I need a new one, preferably a snap in style with a rubber gasket. I will also need the snap-in style trim, as mine had the glued on style and is probably not salvageable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea, but I have already spoke to him.

Here is what I have learned so far -

New windshields are available from Matt at ReOriginals. $380 - Not a bad price. But this is where things get expensive. Since my original was a glue-in, the trim was destroyed in the process of removing it. So, I need to buy a new rubber gasket, $110, used trim, $190.00, have it polished, say $50.00. Add in $35 for the crate used to ship the glass, and $150 for freight not to mention installation, and we are at nearly $1,000.00!

My solution - buy another Berlina of course!

I found a very complete 1969 Berlina near Santa Cruz for only $300!

So, if anyone is looking for parts, let me know. This car was pretty moldy, but very complete. The PO included numerous spares as well. I have got four radiators, two engines, a pair of nice Spider seats and so many other parts that I have not had time to sort through them yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re: Wiper motor

I cannot believe that your side markers sold for only $1.25! I would have bid 20 bucks! I didn't think anyone else cared about Berlinas.

I have at least two spare wiper motors, so let me look for them and make sure that they work. You can have it for the cost of shipping plus a couple of beers, should we ever cross paths!

If neither of the spare motors work, I have a guy who rebuilt my heater fan motor for only $15! I am sure he could do the same for a wiper motor.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Cool! I'm totally down with that! I'll pay for shipping and buy as many beers as you want.

Yeah, the side markers and the center console both went for $1. I was a bit surprised myself but oh well. At least they are going to be used and that's what counts.

If they don't work I would be more the willing to pay you/your motor repair guy to make it work. Email me off BB:

[email protected]

Got any picts of your Berlina?

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Interest in selling complete car

jthraen,

Are you considering (if you haven't already) selling one of your Berlinas? I've often thought about picking up a Berlina if I could make the numbers work, but since I can't recall one ever coming up for sale in TX since I've been into Alfas (late 90's). However, the windshield issue is not as big of a deal for me because Matt Jones (Re-Originals) is local to me, & there are plenty of windshield installers in my area who do good work for cheap.

So, the windshield I can get locally. What I can't seem to get locally is the Berlina that goes around it.:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may sell one of them. The '71 Verde Metallic one is a full restoration project. I have a complete new leather interior from Matt, a complete color change paint job, and a complete engine from Sperry Valve Works. I even have a set of GTA rims for it. Looks great with the lowered springs and Koni's. Hopefully, it will be on the road within two weeks.

The white car was purchased as a parts car. I have already stripped the interior including the dash, pulled the motor and trans, as well as the front and rear glass. The car is amazingly straight, I cannot find any evidence of a prior collision. The bad news here is that there is rust along all the door bottoms, a little in the rockers, but the worst rust is in the rear door jams.

I have been considering welding in a roll cage and dropping in a hot 2 liter motor, and using it as a club racer!

I would sell it real cheap if you promised to restore it. I really love these little cars and would hate to see it junked.

Now with all that said, if you really want a Berlina, I would recommend that you contact Andrew Watry of the Berlina register. He has a 1973 Berlina for sale on craigslist.com. I think he is asking $3250, which is a bargain compared to what I have tied up in my car. He sent me some photos, so I posted one here. The interior of this car looks great!

If you would prefer the project, let me know.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I've never spoken to Andrew personally, but I read his AD postings with interest, & I visit the Berlina Registry regularly. That is a nice car, & I can't think of a better person to buy a Berlina from. However, that's quite a bit nicer & more expensive (but fairly priced) than what I had in mind.

Being that my wife & I have both recently transitioned to older vehicles as daily drivers (got sick of car payments plus I have job security concerns), I've been kicking around the idea of getting a backup car. I'm after something serveicable & complete but not pristine; read something cheap. It would live in the garage, be driven occasionally, & be pressed into daily service should one of our primary vehicles be down for repairs.

I consider a Berlina an excellent candidate, but they never come up for sale in TX. Transport costs from the east or west coast to TX usually make it cost-prohibitive to buy one over distance. I was hoping that you left that '69 mostly complete & took only the windshield & maybe a few other minor bit. I figured an almost complete Berlina minus a windshield would be an inexpensive way to get one even with transport costs. However, with the entire interior gone, I'd say it's parted out a bit more than what I'd like to deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts