Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have a 1896 Spider Veloce, that I'm currently restoring.
I noticed that the chrome molding at the lower end of the windshield came loose and I had to completely remove it. Then I also noticed that the
Urethane Windshield Adhesive was completely degraded. Any way, here is my plan and my question;
I'm planning to clean that area and remove all the degraded adhesive. Then I'll get a tube of 3M Urethane Windshield Adhesive and will reapply to that area and will reseal it.
My question is;
Do I have to reattach the Chrome molding while the adhesive is still wet or should I wait till it dried out? I'm also open for any other suggestions in this regard.

Thank you very much

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
These strips are not held on by adhesive, at least not on my '85. Can you post a photo of which piece you are talking about?

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
These strips are not held on by adhesive, at least not on my '85. Can you post a photo of which piece you are talking about?
Right! I've never worked on a spider as late as '86, but the lower strip is retained by clips + 2 screws on the earlier cars. The tabs on these clips do rust and can become deformed. And it's difficult to get the strip under all the clips when working with just two hands.

Here's what the clips look like. CA says you need 7. You can only replace them when the glass is removed:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information.
Well, I'm not planning the replace the windshield. I'll try to reuse the existing clips, although some are rusty. But my question was as when to reattach the Lower strip? While the Adhesive is wet or when it is dry.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
when to reattach the Lower strip? While the Adhesive is wet or when it is dry.
Probably doesn't matter. Unless you've applied a LOT of adhesive, I doubt it will interfere with the stainless trim piece. But without seeing your work, I'm just guessing here.

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
There is no adhesive
If yours has it then a PO has used it.
The lower strip is held by the clips fixed under the windscreen rubber and the two end screws

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much guys. Once I got more time to fix it, I'll send you pictures before and after.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe the only 'sealer' under the windshield bright trim is a sort of putty...something like a 3M strip caulk to keep water from pooling under the trim. This is like a butyl putty that doesn't dry out, remains flexible and doesn't really skin over.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
@Alfastar is correct about the caulk. It is not an adhesive and doesn’t hold the trim in place. In fact, it is very messy, so you want to keep the trim piece away from it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just had to do this the other day. I started to get water leaking inside when it rained. I removed the chrome strip and the putty underneath was cracked with several sizeable cracks in the putty. The only thing I had laying around was some flashing sealant. I applied it to the areas. Waited 24 hrs. No more leaks. The chrome strip slides into the clips. I needed additional hands besides my own. In the end, again no leaks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so very much guys.
I ordered the 3M Strip Calk as Soloby89 had suggested and Loctite PL S30 Black Roof and Flashing Sealant as Triz did so. Hopefully this will do the trick. I'll keep you all posted.
Thank you again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts